Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2015 10:00

r515 dont boot after bios update

Hello All,

i have made an biosupdate on an R515 and somethiong wend wrong. The system does not reboot.

After 30 Minutes i power off the system and now i get an black screen.

only over the drac i can see, that a small memory test runs an then nothing happens.

is ther a way to reanimate the system? I also can not boot from an floppy or a mounted iso over the drac.

please help me to rescue ay server - thanks a lot

robert

p.s. i have installed the file    R515_BIOS_0X4PV_WN32_2.2.1.EXE

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 26th, 2015 16:00

Robert,

Have you reviewed the hardware logs or alerts in the iDRAC? Do you see any system error codes displayed on the system LCD panel?

Else shutdown the server then:

• Disconnect power supply and clear NVRAM by moving the NVRAM jumper to clear position.
  • Reconnect cables and power on the server for about 3 minutes.
  • Shutdown the server disconnect power cables again, move the jumper back to position
  • Drain the system flea power by pressing and holding down the power button for about 15 seconds then powering ON the system.

Let me know how this works.

5 Posts

May 29th, 2015 02:00

Hello Robert,

sorry, i was out of office for last 3 days.  now i am back an i have done what you say, but there is no change.

On the LED display there i can see first after power on the TAG ID and than "system booting..."  nothing else.

In the eventlog from drac only the error that 1 psu failed ( i have plug in the second cord and the error goes away)

On the monitor (plug in front and back) there is only a black screen.

I can see the dell logo and a few lines down "Configuring Memory. Done." on the drac thats all.

Is there a chance to reanimate the system?

Thanks a lot for your assistance

Regards robbo

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 29th, 2015 09:00

Thanks for the update. Sometimes BIOS update causes incompatibility with system components. Make sure that the keyboard, network cables and external devices such as USB are all disconnected.

Let us try system reboot using minimum to POST components below:

• System Board
  • Expansion Riser
  • CPU1/ with heat sink (min for troubleshooting)
  • One memory DIMM in DIMM 0 slot
  • Control Panel w/cable
  • 1 PSU, PDB, and PSU-to-PDB connector board

Let me know whether this works out.

5 Posts

June 1st, 2015 03:00

i have remove the battery for 15 minutes, remove the second cpu and one psu. i have only 1 memory in slot A0 and pull off the H700 Controller.

Then i clear the nvram  and start the system without battery. on the led i see only battery failure, so i put the battery in the system and change the jumper back from nvram clear.

i also change the drac card with one from another server, because i can not connect anymore to the drac.

when i start the server, on LED i see the Service Tag nummber and i can change to the config of drac. the ip is correct, but i can not connect to it.

the led shows also system booting... - nothing else happens.

is it possible, to change a eprom ?

Regards robbo

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 1st, 2015 16:00

On many occasions when taking a system minimum to POST, we forget about USB and other external devices attached to the system including network cables. Be sure that you are disconnecting everything. Any hardware connected to the system can stop the POST process.

If the issue persists then part replacement would be the next step. The system board would be the most likely component.

5 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 02:00

Hello Robert,

i have tried it once more. I have plug out 1 cpu, 1 psu, both parts of drac (??) and the H700 Controller.

I have only 1 2GB Memorymodule ( tested in another Server before) an no Monitor or USB, no LAN no Keyboard.

On the LED there i see only system booting...  - i leave it for 30 Minutes - no change.

I think, the Server is dead. Do you know, what is the price for an new board?  If it is to mutch, i use the Server for spareparts.

Thank you a lot for your assistance

Regards robbo

5 Posts

June 7th, 2015 07:00

Hello Robert,

i get the ID from the server:

D2D455J

Service Code is:

<ADMIN NOTE: Express service code removed per privacy policy>

Hope that help for more details.

Regards robbo

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2015 09:00

I am not so sure about the cost of a new systems board. However, here is theDell  part number: 

3X0MN.

No Events found!