Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2011 19:00

update BIOS on "McAfee SCM" branded PowerEdge 860 server

I have a Dell PowerEdge 860 server, which has some sort of  "McAfee SCM" BIOS(it has a McAfee splash screen and limited amount of options under BIOS). dmidecode utility under Linux gives following information regarding the BIOS:

Vendor: McAfee Inc

Version: A04

Release date: 07/24/2007

Address: 0xF0000

Runtime size: 64kB

ROM size: 512kB

Rev: 5.0

So I downloaded PE860-A05.EXE setup utility(this installs BIOS version A05, newest for PE860), installed this successfully under "Windows Server 2008 R2", installer rebooted the server in order to finish flashing the BIOS, but firs two lines that were printed to the screen after the reboot were:

Attempting BIOS update, please wait!

BIOS update attempt failed!

..and machine boots up with this old "McAfee SCM" BIOS. I tried this several times.

Is this possible at all to update BIOS on such branded PE860 server? Any experience/suggestions with such issue? :emotion-18:

8 Posts

June 29th, 2011 15:00

I tried BIOS update(A04 -> A05) under CentOS(based on RHEL), but unfortunately same scenario happened as under Windows7. Machine reports, that:

Attempting BIOS update, please wait!

BIOS update attempt failed!

..and then boots up using the old BIOS:

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04
McAfee, Inc. SCM appliance                                                     
www.mcafee.com
Testing memory.  Please wait.

Is it impossible to upgrade BIOS of this particular branded type PowerEdge 860? :emotion-18:

8 Posts

June 29th, 2011 15:00

I guess the only option would be to solder out the nonvolatile BIOS memory, flash the chip with A05 BIOS image and finally solder the chip back on to the motherboard :emotion-18:

1 Message

March 15th, 2013 10:00

I know I'm a couple of years late. But I did find a way to do this. You need to add a "-FORCETYPE" switch at the end of the PE860-A05.EXE command like so:

PE860-A05.EXE -FORCETYPE

I can't remember if I did it with all uppercase or lowercase. But it worked. Hope this helps you.

1 Message

June 10th, 2016 05:00

Thank you!

Also a couple of years late here, but your information solved my problem.

I just tried this on a PowerEdge 1950 that was McAfee-branded and it worked like a charm!

1 Message

September 23rd, 2017 09:00

I'm just registered to thank you!

I'm also curious how do you know that? :emotion-2:

Thanks again!!

3 Posts

November 15th, 2021 08:00

Hello greetings, someone knows the process to add -forcetype to the bios file so that it looks like this PE1850 _BIOS_A07.EXE -forcetype some video where and how to do that procedure, let's say step by step, thanks

I need to remove the mcafee bios from my powerEdge 1850 server with the -forcetype method, I ask because in the solutions mentioned here they do not explain how to do it step by step, thanks

3 Posts

November 15th, 2021 12:00

Hello, you must detail the process to make that change since you say so but it does not show how to do it step by step

No Events found!