Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 6th, 2016 00:00

Can I install Win 10 on PowerEdge R230 server?

Is it possible to install Windows 10 Professional on PowerEdge R 230 server?

Thank you.

3 Posts

September 28th, 2016 09:00

Tevfikbingel,

I just loaded Windows 10 Pro on an R230 I'm setting up as a storage server for a Sheriff's Office radio logger, and using the defaults in the Lifecycle controller 10 loaded flawlessly. I used an OEM disk and it sees the RAID and USB 3.0 just fine. I wanted rugged dependable hardware so I chose the R230 (the machine this is replacing is a rack mounted server running XP Pro). I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a server OS when the only thing it's doing is recording the audio. 10 Pro was the perfect choice since it's compatible with the software for the audio logger. I just wanted to post this answer so anyone else who comes across this post with the same question won't be put off by the answer you got.

• 

8.4K Posts

June 6th, 2016 06:00

Tevfikbingel,

The R230 isn't going to support using Windows 10. The reason being is it is a workstation OS and not designed normally to recognize some of the devices found in Enterprise servers. With that being said, that doesn't mean it is impossible, but simple isn't designed to run on that platform. Normally though you would have varying success on loading drivers based on the OS kernel. For example if you wanted to load Windows 7 on the server, then you could try Server 2008 drivers, as they share the same Kernel between them (kernel version 6.1) The issue with trying to do that for Windows 10 is that with it's Kernel version (10.0), there currently isn't a shared enterprise OS using it. Kernel 10 supposedly will be used in Server 2016, which is still in development. 

Let me know if this helps clarify things at all. 

1 Message

October 4th, 2016 15:00

Hi, I'm interested to hear this as I also had Windows 10 running on a R210.  I originally installed 7 Pro and it upgraded to 10 with no problem.  That is until a recent update.  The server now boots, but appears to have got some corrupted drivers along the way.  I have attempted to do a fresh install of 10, but it does not see the RAID although this is configured and I am having a pig of a time reloading either 10 or 7 Pro 64 bit.  Any idea as to the best method to get the correct drivers installed for 10?  I'm gutted as only need it to run a single app as you are and it worked perfectly for a couple of months.

Cheers

Chris

3 Posts

October 5th, 2016 08:00

Well, I just used a Windows 10 DVD and went into the Lifecycle Controller from the BIOS boot screen, Selected the OS load option, then selected "Other" as the OS type and ran the attended install. If you have it connected to the internet, the Lifecycle controller will download the necessary files for the install. That's what it appeared to do for my install. Again, this was on an R230 and I don't know how different the Lifecycle Controller in the R210 is so the procedure may be different for your machine.

9.3K Posts

October 6th, 2016 21:00

On a side-note; Microsoft RTM'd Windows 2016. This is the same kernel as Windows 10, but then the server version.

Dell seems to already have downloads available for Windows 2016, which should be compatible with Windows 10 too.

The LCC however, will never explicitly list a desktop OS for an install option, so the "other" will have to be used.

I don't think though that you can install OpenManage on a desktop OS (other than just the front end GUI (used to log into OpenManage on a remote server (e.g. VMware ESXi server)), so you may want to set up email alerts in the DRAC so you get notified about any hardware issues that may pop up.

3 Posts

October 7th, 2016 08:00

DEV MGR,

You're right about the OpenManage not working on the desktop OS, I tried. Good idea about the DRAC, I may just do that.

January 30th, 2019 07:00

Pauldfreed thanks for the answer. I work for a small 911 center and was wanting to use one of our old servers as a shared file server and to hold old recordings of value. I was in the same boat, didn't see a point in installing an expensive OS if the only thing I was needing was basically a file server. Thanks!
No Events found!