Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2012 07:00

Can not add the internal storage in ESXi 5.1.0

Hello,

I have R420 server with PERC H710 Mini controller (RAID 6).

Since I could not install standard VMware ESXi 5.1.0 ("no net controller found"), I followed the advice from this forum and I downloaded:

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64-Dell_Customized_RecoveryCD_A00.iso

Now, the installation was OK, but I can not add the local RAID as a Storage. The "Add storage" wizard finds the controller and the RAID, but when I choose it and click "Next" (Add), the IP connection Server - VSphere Client is lost. I must login again and no storage is added.

Have you ever had such a problem?

• 

8.4K Posts

October 24th, 2012 08:00

Jprzedworski,

I don't remember seeing this on local storage, just shared. Normally this being caused by the local array not being added due to it already having partitions.

Is this the case here?

Let me know.

October 24th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

Perhaps yes. It is a brand new serwer. I have not done any partition, but what about the Dell factory, I do not know. I'll try to check it - perhaps tomorrow.

9.3K Posts

October 25th, 2012 08:00

Also; is your raid 6 virtual disk larger than 2048GB? If so, this could be the cause.

If the raid 6 is indeed larger than 2TB, change the bios to UEFI mode and reinstall ESXi 5.1.0 to see if it then sees the remainder of the disk (already formatted VMFS 5 after the install).

October 26th, 2012 01:00

Thank you. The RAID is below 2 TB, but factually the partition was done. I've removed it ("Long initialization" in the RAID setup). Now, it is OK

No Events found!