Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2010 02:00

Cannot install dell ups software under vma on Dell T610 running VMWareESXi4.1

Hi, my company owns our first Dell T610 server with Dell 1920VA UPS (k789n) connected by USB cable

I want my ESXi to shutdown gently guest machines when power goes down. I followed DELL instruction that says to install vMA 4.0, copy Dell UPS Management Software into it and run "sudo ./setup_console.bin". But after i Invoked that command, only thing that happens is message:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/zerog/lax/LAX

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.zerog.lax.LAX
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
Could not find the main class: com.zerog.lax.LAX.  Program will exit.

I'm am not much linux/unix experienced so there is a problem I can not solve even googling a lot for a few days. Dell UPS Software comes from CD shipped with hardware, I tried software from two folders: LinuxAMD64 (which should be appropriated, I think) and Linux. No difference in results.

Can anyone help?

44 Posts

October 4th, 2010 03:00

Hi There,

Can you confirm you copied the sw from the CD to the server and changed the read/write status before trying to install it?  This is numbers 3-5 in the software installation guide (copy below).  Also might be worth checking you are using the latest software (version A05) which has improved support for virtualized systems.  If you have a previous version, visit www.dellups.com -> Downloads.  This will link you through to the correct sw on support.dell.com

Note the LinuxAMD64 is for a AMD chipset, the Linux folder is for Intel.

Dell UPS Management Software Installation

To install the software:

1.        Start the vMA 4.0 guest operating system.

2.        Download the software from the Dell Web site (support.dell.com) or from the CD (F618R A04 or higher) provided with the UPS.

3.        Upload the software from Windows to vMA 4.0 using WinSCP tools.

4.        Copy the two files "Linux" and "InstallerData" to the VMA from CD

5.        Access to the files with executable permission
chmod -R 777 Linux
chmod -R 777 InstallerData

6.        Enter the "Linux" path; install the software by execute the following command:

sudo ./setup_console.bin

7.        Edit the document “VMwareESXHosts” on the installation path.

Add all ESXi server host IP addresses, separated by spaces. Add the IP address of the ESXi server on which VIMA/vMA is installed as the last entry.

Example: 172.18.127.13 172.18.127.12 172.18.127.11

8.        Start the Agent. From the installation path, enter the command:

sudo ./agent start

This is my first post so hope it's useful :-)

Andy

44 Posts

October 4th, 2010 03:00

Hi There,

Can you confirm you copied the sw from the CD to the server and changed the read/write status before trying to install it?  This is numbers 3-5 in the software installation guide (copy below).  Also might be worth checking you are using the latest software (version A05) which has improved support for virtualized systems.  If you have a previous version, visit www.dellups.com -> Downloads.  This will link you through to the correct sw on support.dell.com

Note the LinuxAMD64 is for a AMD chipset, the Linux folder is for Intel.

Dell UPS Management Software Installation

To install the software:

1.        Start the vMA 4.0 guest operating system.

2.        Download the software from the Dell Web site (support.dell.com) or from the CD (F618R A04 or higher) provided with the UPS.

3.        Upload the software from Windows to vMA 4.0 using WinSCP tools.

4.        Copy the two files "Linux" and "InstallerData" to the VMA from CD

5.        Access to the files with executable permission
chmod -R 777 Linux
chmod -R 777 InstallerData

6.        Enter the "Linux" path; install the software by execute the following command:

sudo ./setup_console.bin

7.        Edit the document “VMwareESXHosts” on the installation path.

Add all ESXi server host IP addresses, separated by spaces. Add the IP address of the ESXi server on which VIMA/vMA is installed as the last entry.

Example: 172.18.127.13 172.18.127.12 172.18.127.11

8.        Start the Agent. From the installation path, enter the command:

sudo ./agent start

This is my first post so hope it's useful :-)

Andy

3 Posts

October 5th, 2010 00:00

Hi

That's a little odd. I have a manual with installation instruction that has no 4. and 5. point. Now I'm downloading UPS CD ISO image and try once again. Thanks for now, I'll inform about results

Jakub

3 Posts

October 5th, 2010 03:00

My version of manual had no part of 1. copying the TWO folders "Linux" and "InstallerData" to the VMA from CD and 2. Accessing to the files with executable permission "chmod -R 777 Linux; chmod -R 777 InstallerData"

I was also sure that Linux is for 32-bit systems and LinuxAMD64 for 64-bit. I was wrong because when i downloaded Ubuntu server last time that was the naming convention used by Canonical.

Your post, Andy, is marked as verified answer. Thanks.

No Events found!