Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2012 03:00

CentOS on a 12th G PowerEdge

Hi

I know that 12G Power Edge servers supports only RH 5.7 and above, but did someone successfully managed to install CentOS 5.4 on a 12G Power Edge server?

Thanks,

Ziv

August 2nd, 2012 09:00

Ziv,

CentOS 5.4 does not have the minimum drivers needed for the PERC storage controllers and most of the network controllers available in 12G PowerEdge servers, not to mention the newer Intel chipset. You could build driver disks to boot with and then install add-on drivers, but I can foresee lots of difficulties getting there.

Dell does not support or test CentOS, and we also did not test 12G servers with anything earlier than RHEL 5.7, so we do not have any documentation (official or unofficial) on how to make it work with anything earlier than 5.7.

By the way, I'd like to invite you to join (if you haven't already) our unofficial Linux-on-PowerEdge mailing list at lists.us.dell.com/.../linux-poweredge, where Linux questions (such as yours) and issues are discussed.

Thanks,

Jose De la Rosa

Dell Linux Engineering

2 Posts

August 5th, 2012 00:00

Thanks for your replay.

I know that CentOS 5.4 is not supported by dell 12G neither by Intel Sandy Bridge. My question is if, though not supported did someone was able to fully install it on a 12G PowerEdge server. I have a situation where though not supported the client insists of installing this version.

Thanks,

Ziv

August 5th, 2012 15:00

I am not aware of anyone inside at Dell who attempted to install CentOS 5.4 on a 12G PowerEdge server. I'll ask around, and let you know if I hear otherwise, but highly unlikely.

1 Message

September 13th, 2012 08:00

Hi Jose,

We have a number of 11G servers (R310, R610 and R710) which are running CentOS 5.4.

Please let me know if we will be able to run CentOS 5.8 on 11G servers (R320, R620 and R720).

Thanks

Jayesh Joshi

September 13th, 2012 09:00

Jayesh.

Please refer to this blog post on RHEL 5.8 support for PowerEdge servers:

en.community.dell.com/.../red-hat-enterprise-linux-5-8-support-on-dell-poweredge-servers.aspx

Please note that this is for RHEL, not CentOS. Dell does not test or qualify CentOS on PowerEdge servers.

1 Message

October 8th, 2013 17:00

Hello , man ,

I have a problem with the new server : Poweredge T620 , i tried to install CentOS 5.5 , but it didn't know the network controller

do you think , if i install CentOS 6.4 , the network controller install good?

October 9th, 2013 07:00

CentOS 6.4 should detect most network controllers on the T620, so you should be ok.

No Events found!