Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2013 15:00

Compatible version of ESXi for PowerEdge 860?

Looking to switch over from my current VM setup to a baremetal VM setup and I'm trying to figure out the latest version of ESXi that will work on my PE 860, and if there is anything in particular I need to do to make it work.

I found the Dell custom ESXi files but I don't know if I should use those versions or just stick to a version from VMware.

Thanks.

ETA:  This PE 860 has the 1 x 2.4GHz Xeon Dual Core and I am only running one SATA HDD in it on SATA_0, may add another in the neat future.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 13th, 2013 17:00

Hello johnnydotexe

We haven't validated the 860 for any version of VMware. I just searched and found posts of customers installing up to ESXi 5.0. There is not much difference between 5.0 and the latest 5.5 regarding hardware compatibility, so I don't see a reason why you can't install 5.5.

I would suggest using our custom ISO. Even though we don't support VMware on the 860 a lot of drivers are used across multiple products, so there may be drivers for the 860 hardware available on our disc.

Since this is not a validated configuration I would advise you to be aware there will likely be oddities, and it is not advisable to run unsupported configurations in a production environment.

Thanks

11 Posts

October 13th, 2013 17:00

Thank you for your reply, Daniel.

Is this the correct ISO I'll be needing? - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=5YC4T

This server is for personal-use only so quirks and issues won't be much more than a minor inconvenience.  Worst case scenario I can just fall back to linux or windows and deal with the sluggishness until I can get around to upgrading the CPU and RAM.

Once installed I will report back with the results just in case any other PE 8xx users come along with the same question. :emotion-11:

11 Posts

October 13th, 2013 19:00

The install went without a hitch but I've run in to a possible problem.

I downloaded the VMware vSphere Client on to my main Windows PC which is where I was wanting to control the PE 860 from but I get the following error when I attempt to connect/login to it...

The server could not interpret the client's request
. (The remote server returned an error: (404)
Not Found.)

Is there a certain version of the vSphere Client I should be running with this custom Dell ISO of ESXi 5.5?  Reason I ask is because I can't find any network-related reason why this isn't connecting.  On first login attempt I even got warnings about security certificates and such so it makes it to a certain point before I get that error.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 13th, 2013 19:00

Yes, that is the one. Our VMware installation ISOs are not server specific.

Thanks

11 Posts

October 14th, 2013 02:00

Turns out the vSphere Client issue I was having was due to user error.  Whoops.

Anyways, I can confirm that the Dell version of ESXi 5.5 works on the PowerEdge 860.  Absolutely no issues at all.

Thanks again!

2 Posts

April 4th, 2014 06:00

Johnny-

Thanks for the info.  Are you able to run 64-bit VMs?  

It seems you must have a XEON CPU and a "Mark II" generation 860 in order to enable VTx.  However, I don't know how to tell if I have a Mark II.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 4th, 2014 10:00

"I don't know how to tell if I have a Mark II."

It will have a   II   in the upper-left corner of the chassis (on the ear, above the rack screw).  If OMSA and the BIOS are up to date, it may also show in OMSA under System, Main System Chassis, Information sub-tab.

2 Posts

April 4th, 2014 12:00

Thanks!

No Events found!