Bono78
1 Copper

Debian on PE M600

Hi, I have installed a blade PE M600 with Debian Etch, but when reboot appears a message saying "ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Dropping to shell!" I changed the grub to boot from sda and boot OK, but time to time the message appears again when reboot.

Somebody know what happend? I think is a problem with SAS6/iR but I can`t resolve it yet.

thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
edge12
1 Copper

Re: Debian on PE M600

When you say that the message appears from time to time,  are you saying that it periodically changes from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb and back again?

I saw this problem when I installed using a virtual CDROM on a PE2950.  The device names changed temporarily to reflect the extra virtual disk.  After I changed my grub once, I haven't seen it again.  Sometimes plugging in extra devices (usb drives for example) can mess with the device ordering.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bono78
1 Copper

Re: Debian on PE M600

Thanks to answer, and no, nothing change on grub, just the system try again to boot from sda or some times try to boot from sdb and I have to move back the grub again.

Since a couple of weeks ago the problem has not presented again. I don't know if some update has fixed the problem.

I apreciate your answer but this is a black hole that I can't explain emoticon.BigSmile.title

0 Kudos