Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 13th, 2012 08:00

Dell F1D poweredge Dual Xeon quad core 2.0 1u

After searching the Dell support site I can find no documentation on this machine.  Would appreciate any info relating to drivers, especially those that might pertain to a Windows 2003 server install.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

These (we've seen others recently on the forums) appear to be a special make-up for some company and are not standard Dell servers.  They appear to be similar to Dell's "cloud" servers, but they are also not entirely the same either.  Your best bet would be to go directly to Intel (5000-series chipset most likely), Aspeed (onboard graphics), Broadcom (NIC's, possibly), etc. for drivers.  You could also try drivers from the download pages for the "cloud" server models if thinking about installing a newer OS, as Server 2003 is not officially supported for their cloud servers (2008 R2 only).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

I would email the seller to see if they have any available documentation for these servers.

3 Posts

July 13th, 2012 09:00

Thank you for sending me in the right direction.  I am in the process of trying those drivers.  Thanks again.

3 Posts

July 13th, 2012 09:00

Thank you for your answer.  Unfortunately the seller knew nothing about , and had no documentation.  (another case of let the buyer beware).  One good thing is linux loads with no problems so it will make a great web server.

59 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 20:00

I am also looking to try and find some information on these units to help a friend find rive trays for them.

There are quite a few sellers on eBay with these units, they clearly have Dell's name on them but not sure if they have service tags or not, but I have written to a few sellers asking if they do.

Has anyone ever figured out who manufactured them?

From what I can tell the caddy's are not compatable with the 15xx or the 19xx but I can't determine what is.

They look decent enough and for a 1U a better drive design than the 19xx since they have 4 bays instead of 2, but poor in that they only have a single power supply.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 20:00

No Service Tags ... they might have non-Service Tag serial numbers on them, but they will not be recognized by Dell as ST's, as Dell does not support them in any fashion - drivers, documentation, or tech support.

While they have Dell's name on them, they likely were only "assembled" by Dell to the customer's specs, rather than built using Dell hardware - it was likely more time-effective to have Dell do it than for the customer.

The 1950 had a 4-disk (2.5") backplane option on its III version, but for 3.5", something like for the C1100 (cloud server) might work:

www.velocitytechsolutions.com/dell-c1100-cloudserver-hard-drive-caddy

1 Message

September 30th, 2013 22:00

which linux distribute are you installed?  Ubuntu? centos? debian?  i can only install ubuntu server 12.04 ,but others can't  load. 

1 Message

January 3rd, 2014 18:00

I know this thread is really old, but I just wanted to mention that I have one of these and was able to install Vmware ESXi 5.1 with no issues at all. The installer complained about the NIC, but it still worked fine... however, it did take quite a long time to install, which was weird. But, with a hypervisor in place, you can install 2008 server or anything else you can dream up.

6 Posts

May 6th, 2020 12:00

Anyone knows how large DDR2 sticks will this machine take? I bought this Dell F1D with four 1GB PC2-5300F-555-11. It has 8 slots. I would like to put 8x4GB. will it accept them? -- I have seen 8GB sticks but only on HP servers. That would be great. Please advice. 

No Events found!