Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

June 16th, 2020 17:00

Dell PowerEdge 1850 Gen III compatible Fiber NIC 1.25gbps or 10g

Hi guys

I have this old server running nicely  its fully updated BIOS and hardware to its max capacity

Dell PowerEdge 1850 Gen III

16GB RAM

2 Xeon duo core

now i need to upgrade its IntelPro 1000mbps Etetric RJ45 ports with some Fiber NICs to be compatible with our new switch, can anyone confirm if this Dell PowerEdge can run any fiber nic card and if so, which model has been tested?

I would prefer 10g but if not 1.25 would be ok as its currently running as a DNS server and we need to upgrade our switch

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

June 17th, 2020 07:00

Hello @0p3nS0urc3,

It's always amazing to know a PowerEdge 1850 is still up and running serving for a DNS server.
So, the question is if there are any fibre or hba card compatible and tested for this model.

I've been checking the official documentation about this server and it's true that is not that explicit mentioned in the hardware manual. However in the server caracteristics, it is mentioned: "High Availability Clustering: Yes (RTS+), SCSI and FC." And also in the Dell PowerEdge
1850 Server Specs it is also mentioned: "External storage: Dell PowerVault™ SCSI and Dell/EMC fibre channel storage" and then "External storage Dell PowerVault™ SCSI and Dell/EMC fibre channel storage".

So for mei t looks like it does support FC, but there is only a single FC showing for the PowerEdge 1850: the Qlogic QLE2460 FC4 (Dell Part Number UD551).

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask if you have any other quesiton.

Regards.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

August 27th, 2020 11:00

Hi diego

Yes indeed.. its running great, for the last 3 years.. only 2 hours stopp for maintenance cleanup

16G ram and 2 xeon 2.80Ghz  total 4 cores  running raid1 on old SCSCI

ubuntu 20.04 it started with ubun14.04 and went upgrading it with distro upgrade as recent versions came up.. so yeah its still running great... for a 2005 Gen III 1850 model..

Btw sorry for the late reply we bought the Fiber card and its running great  with the  DELL C2126 PCI-X FIBRE CHANNEL ADAPTER 0C2126 INTEL C46829-003

No Events found!