Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 30th, 2010 11:00

Dell PowerEdge 1950 - Server installation disk

We have this 1950 server with 2 SAS drives that were purchased and only had the documentation CD...

Can anyone provide me with a link to the location of the CD/DVD need to install a server OS...all the dvds that I have downloaded from Dell so far are not being recognized by the server.  I know its not the drive..as putting in a 2003 server disk..the disk is recognized..but then says that I need another Dell disk to allow me to install the OS

9.3K Posts

The OS disks aren't downloadable.

If you have the license sticker on the server (indicating that the OS was purchased with the server), you may be able to request Dell to send another set of media. However, if the server wasn't purchased with an OS (lots of companies don't buy the OS from Dell as they may have site licenses or plan to run an OS that Dell doesn't offer (e.g. Ubuntu Linux or FreeBSD)), you'll have to buy Windows (retail or from Microsoft).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Unless of course Dev Mgr saw something in your post that I didn't and you are looking for the actual 2003 installation media, in which case, he is correct that it cannot be downloaded without an account with Microsoft.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

If you have CD's that originally came with the server, it should be the Systems Build and Update Utility (SBUU) CD that is bootable.  You can download the latest here, with all the latest drivers:

Some things to note:

• Your 2003 CD must have Service Pack 2 on it.  If it doesn't, use nLiteOS.com to integrate it.
  • VL/OL media, downloaded from Microsoft, will often not work with SBUU.
No Events found!