Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2009 16:00

Dell Poweredge 6850 CentOS 5.4 installation problems

Hello, Dear community members.

I have subj then i try to boot server with CD of Centos 5.4 installed in CD-ROM drive. Server can't find boot sectors and show msg something like: Cant boot. Press F1 to try again or F2 to anter System Utility.

Please help me to solve this problem.

PS: in bios and tests system don't have any problems.

Best regards.

9.3K Posts

November 13th, 2009 04:00

Try to boot to the Poweredge server installation CD. This won't help to install CentOS (only compatible with 2 linux distros; Red Hat and SuSE), but it allows testing the boot setup. If this disk does boot, I suggest you try a new burn of your CentOS ISO.

November 13th, 2009 13:00

You right, I try to boot from CentOS ISO. But after I try to install with Poweredge server installation CD, but inside appears only Red Hat 3, 4 versions (I need 5). Can You help me to tell which version support RedHat 5 (if it's possible link to ISO).

Best regards.

9.3K Posts

November 13th, 2009 17:00

None of the versions will accept CentOS (even the one that does support Red Hat 5).

My suggestion was just to test if the system has a problem booting to all (bootable) CDs, or just your CentOS CD.

From what you're saying you tried booting to the server installation CD, so this means your CentOS disk is bad, or did you verify that your CentOS media isn't a DVD and the drive in the server maybe just a CDrom?

November 14th, 2009 10:00

CD-ROM and CD works perfect.

To install CentOS i try to use Dell OpenManage Server Assistant. Then I go to step 7 "Install OS" CD of Assistant eject and need to put CD with CentOS. After I put CentOS CD to CD-ROM it change text in monitor to - Copy operating system: Isert "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 CD1".

At step 2 "Select Operating System" I can choose only:

• Windows 2003 Server
  • Windows ... 
  • Red Hat 3.0 32 bit
  • Red Hat 4.0 32 bit 
  • Red Hat 4.0 32_64 bit 

Maybe all problem that I use not right Dell support CD. Can anybody help which one I need.

Best regards.

9.3K Posts

November 14th, 2009 19:00

Here are the 6850 downloads for Red Hat 5. Under systems management you can find the installation ISO, but I'm pretty sure it still won't accept your CentOS CD.

2 Posts

December 4th, 2009 14:00

Right, there is not way that the System Build and Update Utility or any other Dell tool will help you to install CentOS. The best idea is to try with a different CentOS media and also check with arch. are you trying (i386,x64_86) etc.

No Events found!