Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2014 05:00

Dell R310 Blade Server Not Booting from CD Rom [FRESH WINDOWS INSTALLATION]

Hi,

I have a blade server Dell R310. I have created the virtual disk on Raid Configuration, Also I have set the to boot on BIOS. 

I have PERC S100 when I've checked it on my configuration tab.

The scenario is that I want to install a new / fresh copy of Windows 2008 R2 on this server, I have the bootable dvd. but when I put it on the drive it says "No Bootable Media Found" something like that.

Is there any configuration that I've missed? hoping the get answers from here.

Regards!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 7th, 2014 10:00

Ok, let's back up a little:

Use Systems Management Tools and Documentation (SMTD) instead of SBUU.  If you use SBUU with 2008R2, you will have to use the Driver Pack too ... MUCH easier to use SMTD, which has everything you need in it:

FTP (will need to copy/paste - forums don't like FTP links):

ftp://ftp.dell.com/secure/FOLDER01538030M/1/OM_SMTD_730_A00.iso

Yes, you boot to SMTD, follow the prompts, then insert the 2008R2 media when prompted.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 9th, 2014 08:00

Ok ... I'm sorry ... I just kind of jumped on this thread in response to a specific question, because I'm often available outside of any specific schedule like the Dell guys are ... I still didn't read the original problem.  Your issue isn't one of drivers - you can't get it to boot to a DVD, right?

The PXE message is not an error, per se, it simply is telling you that it could not find a network/PXE server to boot to.  The NIC is likely last in the boot order, so when the other devices fail to boot, it gives the NIC a chance to boot, but since there is no PXE server to boot to, you get the message you see there.

Ok, boot to the BIOS Setup (F2) and make sure that the CD/DVD drive is at the top of the boot order/sequence. Also, you may need to make sure it has a chechmark next to it to "enable" that device. Did you download and burn all the media (Windows too) you are using?  Can you boot to the Windows and the SMTD DVD's on another computer?  I don't mean to insult if this is basic for you, but incorrectly burning ISO's is a common mistake, even for veteran IT guys.  If you browse the contents of the DVD, you should NOT see the ISO file.

• 

8.4K Posts

March 6th, 2014 05:00

WinstonWynne,

The issue is that the OS media is missing the driver needed for the controller. If you download, burn and boot to this ISO it will load the driver for you. - 

Let me know how it goes.

12 Posts

March 6th, 2014 06:00

Drivers & Downloads Error

Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request.

Error when I click the download button.

12 Posts

March 6th, 2014 06:00

Okay, I Will try your suggestion and get back to you soon. 

Thank you! :)

• 

8.4K Posts

March 6th, 2014 07:00

Sorry for the delay, here is the correct link - http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00651629M/1/cdu_2.1_core_339.iso

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 6th, 2014 08:00

Sometimes support.dell.com has issues ... you can try the FTP link:
http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00651629M/1/cdu_2.1_core_339.iso

Technically, the R310 is a 1U rack server, not a "blade" server.  These are blade servers:
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-blade-servers

(Woah ... I was away from my computer for longer than I thought :))

12 Posts

March 7th, 2014 09:00

nice. thanks for the info D' Flash! :) btw, its off days now. will get back to you this coming sunday for the result.

So I just burn this to disc and run first before I run the Windows 2008 R2 Installer? 

Cheers and have a nice weekend! :)

12 Posts

March 7th, 2014 11:00

cool! thanks for this very informative info! 

will get back to you this sunday for the result.

Cheers mate! :)

12 Posts

March 9th, 2014 01:00

Hi Mate,

I tried this morning, burn the iso file on a dvd disc, then put it in dvd-rom and set the boot to BIOS. but still i get the same error. please see the image below 

what is that PXE-E61 Error? sorry I'm a bit new to this server from fresh installation of windows.

Thanks!

12 Posts

March 9th, 2014 09:00

Yeah, I really appreciate your kind and fast response mate, btw, yes I've tested both media (windows and SMTD DVD) in other computer and they worked well. I will try again if not, maybe I have problem with my DVD Rom, its been 3 - 4 years since this servers haven't been used so maybe it has now a malfunctioned dvd-rom.

I agree with you about burning incorrectly as it is happened to me before. .anyway, thanks again! I'll get back to you for any progress I made.

Best Regards!

12 Posts

March 11th, 2014 01:00

Hi mate, here I am again - a bit of unlucky and still having a problem. Okay here's what I did, I've changed the DVD-Rom to make sure that there is no problem on it. Also, I re-burned the iso file that you've stated above then try it on different machine which worked well. But on this server that I am trying to install windows I still have the same error. see the images below for my configurations..

as you can see, the final error message is still the same. sorry mate I am giving you a headache for this one..btw - I really appreciate your help! Thanks a lot! :)

12 Posts

March 12th, 2014 05:00

Hurry! I figured it out, damn I am sorry for giving you guys a head ache about my problem. By the way I was able to resolve this problem, I turned out to be the problem is the dvd-rom ( 4 out if 5 dvd/cd rom ) is not working including the servers built in. So I need to pull out the cd-rom from desktop clients for testing.

Now it is working I was able to install windows operating system

Thank you so much for the assistance and have a nice day! 

No Events found!