Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2013 10:00

Dell/VMware questions

Hey all,

First post, so be gentle :)

I've inherited an ESXi environment and am getting familiar with how it all works.   I just had a new R620 delivered and after booting it up realized it had VSphere 4.1 installed.     So I downloaded the 5.1 ISO from Dell's site and installed it, everything is fine (no VM's on it yet but it boots and I can connect to it etc).

Now I notice there is Update1 released for 5.1.   My question is, do I have to download the Dell specific 5.1.1 ISO and reinstall?  Is there a way I can just put on U1 overtop of what I have?    If so, does the U1 have to come from Dell or can I get it from VMWare?

Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 14:00

Bush,

If you follow this link it will show you multiple walkthroughs on different methods of updating.

kb.vmware.com/.../search.do

• 

8.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 11:00

BushMonkey,

To answer your questions. You don't have to use the Dell image to update to UPdate 1. YOu can use the update from Vmware. Secondly you can update the existing host from the vSphere Update Manager, instead of the clean install.

Let me know if this helps.

May 23rd, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the reply.

The update 1 is around 300MB, does that seem right?   What is my host is not setup in VCenter, its just a standalone host, how do I install U1 then?

Also, somewhat related, why does Dell call the custom ISO images for ESXi "recovery CDs"?  I assume these same ISO's can be used for clean installs or upgrades yes?

No Events found!