Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 27th, 2013 08:00

Deploy OS with Lifecycle Controller - Media Not Found

I'm testing all of the various remote management features of a new T320. I'm currently trying to do a remote install (using Virtual Console) of Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials. Here's the scenario...

I created a SBS2011 bootable USB flash drive from the Dell supplied Windows install disk (using Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool). That UFD is curently connected to the server. Using Virtual Console I was able to boot off of that UFD and do a standard OS install.

Now I want to do an OS install using the Lifecycle Controller OS Deploy feature. I booted into the USC and started the OS Deploy process. At step 4 of 5 it asks to "Insert OS Media". I was hoping that it would recognize the UFD but it does not. Next I thought I would try to use the Remote File Share feature of the DRAC to mount an ISO image of the Windows install disk. I don't have the physical disk handy at the moment so I created an image from the UFD that's connected to the server. I then copied the ISO to a network share and mounted it using Remote File Share. I rebooted and started the USC OS Deply process again hoping that it would recognize the OS media. Still no luck. When I get to the Insert OS Media step and click Next, a message box is displayed stating "Media not found. Please insert a media and retry."

Without physically inserting the OS disk in the server DVD drive, how else could I get it to recognize an OS media disk? Is my ISO image perhaps the problem? In other words since I created it from the UFD and not directly from the original DVD could that be causing a problem? Assuming there's nothing wrong with the ISO would the USC normally recognize an ISO mounted via Remote File Share as a valid OS install disk and proceed beyond step 4?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 27th, 2013 09:00

Hello cmcfarling09

Without physically inserting the OS disk in the server DVD drive, how else could I get it to recognize an OS media disk? Is my ISO image perhaps the problem? In other words since I created it from the UFD and not directly from the original DVD could that be causing a problem? Assuming there's nothing wrong with the ISO would the USC normally recognize an ISO mounted via Remote File Share as a valid OS install disk and proceed beyond step 4?

Yes, the issue is likely the ISO. The LCC is very particular about the OS image that it wants. Make sure you are selecting SBS 2011 as the OS during the LCC setup. If it does not recognize the ISO you are using then I would recommend using a different ISO. The LCC install will only properly detect retail copies, so if you are using a volume license copy or anything other than a standard retail copy it will not likely detect it. Also, if the program used to create the ISO from the DVD changes the formatting or adds extra information to the ISO file to make it different from the DVD in any way it will not detect properly.

In short, yes you can install SBS 2011 from an ISO. If you are encountering issues then I would troubleshoot the medium.

Thanks

January 27th, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the insight. You stated :

" The LCC install will only properly detect retail copies"

What about the Windows install disk that came with the server? That would not be a retail disk, should't it recognize that?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 27th, 2013 10:00

What about the Windows install disk that came with the server? That would not be a retail disk, should't it recognize that?

Yes, the OEM discs that we supply read as retail copies. They should work fine with the LCC.

Thanks

January 28th, 2013 11:00

FYI, I downloaded the SBS2011 Essentials eval ISO install disk from Microsoft just to try it out and see what would happen. It installed and activated as an OEM copy. So it seems that is an alternative option.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2016 14:00

So since the LCC doesn't detect  Windows 2012 R2 Volume license how can I install it?

1 Message

October 5th, 2016 11:00

+1 here, I have Volume Educational versions, have same issue.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 5th, 2016 15:00

Install directly from the OS media.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 12th, 2017 14:00

I simply gave you the simplest alternative to installing the OS. The biggest problem with Dell's deployment tools, is that they are required to comply with all Windows terms and licensing, and it doesn't take long to become out of date to the point it must be updated before it is useful again, and the process to update isn't as easy as it should be. I can install manually in half the time that would take, so my recommendation is usually not to bother.

July 12th, 2017 14:00

Install directly from the OS media.

This has to be one of the most poorly undocumented features of Operating System Deployment using Lifecycle Controller in 12G PowerEdge Servers! I cannot believe Dell makes it so difficult for users to find helpful information when it comes to utilizing features that *should* be seamless to the user.

July 13th, 2017 14:00

I apologize if my comment seemed to be leveled at you directly. I should have been more clear in my reply to specifically state how Dell's documentation could save users a lot of grief by clearly stating "Dell OS Deployment Tools require the retail version of Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2" or something similar. I should also have thanked you for providing the details which Dell's documentation completely omitted. 

1 Message

March 28th, 2020 21:00

Hi, I am new to installing OS on Dell Servers. I just bought a used Dell R720 and am trying to install the OS. I configured the BIOS to use UEFI and USB as the boot device. I installed Windows Server 2019 on a USB with Rufus. I got the ISO from the Microsoft Evaluation Center. I used Lifecycle Controller to try and install the OS because all the videos I have seen so far show that as the way to install. I keep getting stuck on step 4 of 5 in OS Deployment, 'Select Media' I get 'no media'. So I happen to find this blog and am now wondering if I can use an evaluation copy or not and if I can do I have to use another install method which I think your answer may be saying? I have built dozens of PC and installed Microsoft server software on some of them with no issues. I decided to get a real server for my lab. I am a software developer and need the server for my development lab. I know I am close but I am missing something to get around this issue.

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

April 1st, 2020 04:00

Hello @TecBit,

You are correct. In order to install an OS you should follow the procedure to install it via Lifecycle Controller "Deploy OS" option: How to install the operating system on a Dell PowerEdge Server? (OS deployment)

I also can confirm you you can use the Evaluation Media ISOs: Dell PowerEdge: How to Download the Microsoft Windows Server Media / ISO file?

As you can see in the article, in order to use the "Deploy OS" option you either need to load the media via DVD Drive or Virtual Media of iDRAC or USB. UEFI environment doesn't support NTFS file format. USB Boot Media must be MBR disk with FAT32 filesystem.

Regards.

June 18th, 2020 05:00

Hi
I have just had the same issue on a Dell R640. I downloaded the Win2016 Server downgrade ISO directly from Digital Locker, so I couldn't understand why the OS deploy didn't recognize the ISO on my USB media. I did try reformatting the USB drive a couple of times with no success.  As with another post, I found that setting the Virtual Media to 'Attach' instead of 'Auto Attach' in iDRAC Settings>Media and USB Port Settings seemed to do the trick for me. I did deploy one server using the iDRAC web interface with the same ISO, so I knew it was not an issue with the ISO image from Digital Locker.

1 Rookie

• 

37 Posts

March 7th, 2021 12:00

Hi all,

Just to keep this thread alive - I'm having the same issue but with RHEL 8. I mount the virtual media via iDRAC and all I get is "No Media". The documentation is quite poor IMO - why can't DELL list their officially tested isos?

Has anyone else had any luck installing RHEL 8.2 using LC?

I'm using the official RHEL rhel-8.2-x86_64-dvd.iso. The iso boots fine directly, but I want to use the LC for the deployment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

March 8th, 2021 00:00

Hello @benloveday,

Please, can you let me know what server do you have? So you get to this "No media" message on the Lifecycle Controller after selecting the proper drivers pack?

There are some scenarios when you may want to boot directly from the OS, like, for example:

VMware ESXi distributions
OS Installation on PowerEdge T20/T30
Nonsupported OS by LCC

You can check this in the updated article: How to install the operating system on a Dell PowerEdge Server? (OS deployment) https://dell.to/3cqqzKb

Regards.

No Events found!