RJMing
1 Copper

ESXi 5.1 how to expand datastore above 2TB

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Dell PE 415 (Perc H700 controller) with ESXi 5.1 (Essentials kit) with 2 new hard drives and reconfigured the RAID1 virtual disk to RAID5 with 5.46 TB of usable space. The reconfigure was pretty uneventful and everything is working. However, I cannot increase the existing datastore to above 2.0TB. Initially I was able to increase the datastore from 1.81TB to 2.0TB even when the full 5.46TB was visible (and the 3.6TB or so of free space was selected to extent). After the extent or increase there is no LUN listed in the wizard or other space visible in the Datastore properties page when I click Increase. Also I cannot add the available space to a new Datastore.

I am not sure if the problem is related to a driver on the host server (storage, firmware, or vmware driver), the fact the the storage VMFS5 volume (VMFS5.58) is MBR instead of GPT, the version of ESXi 5.1 (5.1.0-799733-standard), or something else. I read that when upgrading from ESXi 3.x to 5.x Datastores were converted from MBR to GPT automatically and/or when extending the Datastore beyond 2TB. That does not seem to be working automatically in this case.

How do I increase the Datastore size above 2TB to use the entire 5.46TB?

I would like to pursue all avenues of non destruction means to add the remaining free space to the existing Datastore before other options are explored.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: ESXi 5.1 how to expand datastore above 2TB

Rjming,

It sounds like you missed a single step. When upgrading to 5.1, the GPT convert is correct, BUT you need to start the upgrade process with upgrading the Datastore first. This is going from VMFS 3 to VMFS 5. After doing that then you can upgrade the Host to ESX 5.X and it will allow you to use above the 2TB limit. It sounds like you had only upgraded the Host and not the datastore as well. 

Did you upgrade the datastores prior to upgrading host? Have you confirmed they are VMFS 5? Worse case scenario is that the datastore is broken and we will need to migrate everything off and recreate as VMFS5 from the start.

Let me know what you see.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
RJMing
1 Copper

RE: ESXi 5.1 how to expand datastore above 2TB

Hi Chris,

Thank you for replying.

I did not convert from VMFS3 to VMFS5 (sorry for the confusion), but was simply stating that the conversion from MBR to GPT or using more than 2TB should be possible given findings in my research. The host has always been ESXi 5.1 and shows it is using VMFS 5.58. 

Anything else to check? Anything I can do to check the status/integrity of the datastore (non destructive of course)? Anything else I can try or do besides wiping out the current datastore and starting over?

Thank you.

0 Kudos