Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2012 13:00

Esxi Server installation with SBUU

Hi there,

I recently purchased DELL PE R210 ii (PowerEdge R210 II Service Tag:{ {Svc Tag removed by moderator}}}), When i first booted with SBUU (Systems Build and Update Utility) i got the option for Esxi server installation.

Before completing the installation due to some reasons it restarted automatically and then installation failed. Now when i'm trying again with the same procedure, I'm not getting the any of the other OS selection in SBUU other than windows. I tried download latest SBUU but still didnt got any luck.

What could be the cause for this ?

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

May 10th, 2012 23:00

Hi Razakkn,

In ideal scenario, if you have seen only the Windows OS list, it should be only Software RAID enabled at this instance.

So just to see if we are in the same page, could you check with the below pointers:

In R210ii BIOS (F2) -> SATA settings check the current BIOS mode set..

Is it set DISABLED or RAID or AHCI / ATA

1. If its set RAID then you might not see LINUX os. It is expected behaviour of software RAID as said earlier. (Snap below).

2. If its set AHCI /ATA - the HDDs will remain independent as volumes and you cant create RAID from SBUU S100 Controller. (Snap Below)

But if you connect an external controller (H200 / SAS6GBPS) in a PCI slot, and connect them the the HDDs directly, you can create RAID on that controller.

Taking your current scenario to install a LINUX OS, I would suggest to opt for ATA mode and have a supported external storage controller in PCI slot and connect them to the respective HDDs. Then with SBUU support you can create RAID 0 / 1 based on your necessity and install install LINUX flavours too.

Thanks

Vivek

• 

8.4K Posts

May 9th, 2012 14:00

Razakkn,

The SBUU disk isn't required for installing ESXi. You can use the media alone. Which version are you installing? Are you installing on the drives or the SD card?

Let me know.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

May 9th, 2012 22:00

Hi Razakkn,

PowerEdge R210ii doesnt support ESXi 4.0 U3 Flash and ESXi 4.1 U2 Flash with OpenManage 7.0

Also could you pls confirm if the server is with Software RAID (S100 Storage Controller)

Thanks

Vivek

5 Posts

May 10th, 2012 00:00

Hi Vivek,

yes the server have software raid S100, but at first i got the option to install all linux distribution which including ESX server but after installing ESX (which was a failure) when again trying to install with same procedure none of any Linux Distribution is there, its only showing windows servers

5 Posts

Hi Chris

i want to install ESX on Raid1. When i setup raid 1 with onboard, ESX still shows those hdd as separate not as a single volume. This is why i'm trying to install it with SBUU.

I'm not so sure the steps I'm trying is correct or not, all my idea was as we setup software RAID1 with onboard it will show as a single volume while installing the OS.

I'm Trying to install ESX Server with same concept but while installation it shows my physical disk separately not my RAID volume.

Please assist me so that i could achieve the installation.

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

Hi Razakkn,

I guess you had ATA or AHCI mode enabled other than software RAID in BIOS the earlier time where you observed the LINUX OS. But please note that Software RAID is not supported by SBUU to install LINUX Os. This is an expected behaviour if you are trying on Software RAID.

Thanks

Vivek

5 Posts

May 10th, 2012 10:00

Hi Vivek,

If that's what the case then by removing my RAID configuration it should show me the the rest of the OS other than windows, but its not showing its only giving the option of Windows Servers.

5 Posts

May 11th, 2012 03:00

Vivek,

U rock man... :) exactly this what the situation is. As i disabled the Raid on BIOS i got the options to install Linux Flavors too.

But why is it not supporting onboard RAID, why am i depended on a card for this ?

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

May 11th, 2012 04:00

Razakkn,

It is by design for SBUU for not supporting software RAID with linux flavor installations. I am sure this will also be in the Readme txt inside the OpenManage DVD ISO. But since your case needs a Linux OS to get installed, you can very well opt for any supported external controller in the PCI slot and complete the task.

An alternate approach could be -> set the server in RAID mode and create RAID 0/1 based on ur need (using SBUU) and reboot the server. Then perform a manual installation of the required ESXi OS. Conventionally, SBUU doenst carry any ESX drivers but uses only Native drivers. You can give a try on this approach too if no external controller is in. Good luck :)

Thanks

Vivek

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 11th, 2012 09:00

Also ... the software RAID solutions (S100 and S300) only support Windows OS's:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Best bet (without buying an H200) is disabling RAID in the BIOS - going non-RAID.

No Events found!