Highlighted
Sam_Latouf
1 Copper

Hard Disks not found when trying to install Windows Server 2008

Jump to solution

Hey guys and gals,

I've spent the last 20 hours trying to solve the problem of not  being able to install windows server 2008 r2 on a brand new Dell server.

My configuration is as follows:

Dell PowerEdge R310

4 x 1 TB 7.2K SATA HDD

PERC H700 Raid Controller

I cant even install the drivers i downloaded from the Dell support site because the Windows 2008 Server installer will not recognize them.  These drivers include the Raid controller, Intel Chipset, SATA etc.

I've used factory default settings, changed all the Ports from Auto to Off and vica versa, i've put the server in Raid mode and ATA mode with all possibilities but it will will not detect any HD!

Please help, as it is critical for my health, job and sanity.

Best Regards,

Sami L.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
theflash1932
6 Indium

Re: Hard Disks not found when trying to install Windows Server 2008

Jump to solution

First, you have to use the driver below.  You need to download and run the file to extract the 6-8 files that will then need to go on a DVD, USB, etc.:

Second, you MUST configure RAID BEFORE attempting to boot to the OS DVD to install ... if RAID is not configured, then even with the correct driver, Windows won't see any drives to install to.  You configure RAID in CTRL-R during POST.

Third, given the size of your drives, it is may be necessary to point out some limitations:

• If you set up your drives in a single RAID 5, in order to use the full ~3TB it would offer, you can ONLY install 2008 on it by switching to UEFI (instead of BIOS). 
  • To avoid the 2TB limit, you can configure two RAID 1's, a RAID 6, or RAID 10 ... each would provide less than 2TB of space to install Windows to.Your
  • What is your plan/goal for partition/disk space?

Your drives are connected directly to the RAID controller, so turning the SATA ports on/off and switching between RAID/ATA mode in BIOS will not apply to your hard drives - it is for the onboard SATA connectors (DVD drive).

As a fourth option, you could also use the OpenManage SMTD DVD that came with the server ... boot to SMTD, follow prompts for RAID setup and installing the OS, insert 2008R2 DVD when prompted.  If you opted not to receive the OpenManage media, you can download it here (pay particular attention to the Installation Instructions on the Download page for each DVD ISO image):

0 Kudos
Sam_Latouf
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help!  i really appreciate it.

I configured the raid controller in CTRL-R during POST.  The background initialization is about 45% - would I be able to install windows before initialization is completed?

Thank you,

Sam

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Yes, you don't have to wait for it to complete, unless you plan to dump data directly to the disks to fill the majority of it.  Installs copy files slow enough that you're fine just going ahead with it.

0 Kudos
MtnWeb
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Help! this is exactly my problem, but the links to the drivers and/or the Open Manager SMTD have expired or are now longer there. Can someone please help me get this driver and/or Open Manager Software? TYIA 

0 Kudos
PsyCLown
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I have the same issue and as MTNWeb has stated the links have since expired.

I am using a Power Edge R420...

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

What OS?  Which RAID controller?  How many drives?  Size?  RAID level?

I can't assume everything is identical, especially when you have a different system altogether that does not support the H700 (so the files would have been meaningless even if Dell hadn't broken the links). Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
alnasick
1 Copper

RE: Hard Disks not found when trying to install Windows Server 2008

Jump to solution

I have the same Issue with R420 and it was the RAID configurations issue , Just use CTR-R in the startup and initiate the RAID what you have create ! It takes time depends on the HDD size . Thanks you all .  

0 Kudos
roger_reid
1 Copper

Jump to solution

please send me the link to download these drivers

thanks

Roger

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Which drivers?

What server model do you have?
What RAID controller do you have?
What RAID configuration?
What version of Windows are you installing?

0 Kudos