Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2011 14:00

Hard Disks not found when trying to install Windows Server 2008

Hey guys and gals,

I've spent the last 20 hours trying to solve the problem of not  being able to install windows server 2008 r2 on a brand new Dell server.

My configuration is as follows:

Dell PowerEdge R310

4 x 1 TB 7.2K SATA HDD

PERC H700 Raid Controller

I cant even install the drivers i downloaded from the Dell support site because the Windows 2008 Server installer will not recognize them.  These drivers include the Raid controller, Intel Chipset, SATA etc.

I've used factory default settings, changed all the Ports from Auto to Off and vica versa, i've put the server in Raid mode and ATA mode with all possibilities but it will will not detect any HD!

Please help, as it is critical for my health, job and sanity.

Best Regards,

Sami L.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 28th, 2013 08:00

What OS?  Which RAID controller?  How many drives?  Size?  RAID level?

I can't assume everything is identical, especially when you have a different system altogether that does not support the H700 (so the files would have been meaningless even if Dell hadn't broken the links). :)

1 Message

November 11th, 2014 08:00

I have the same Issue with R420 and it was the RAID configurations issue , Just use CTR-R in the startup and initiate the RAID what you have create ! It takes time depends on the HDD size . Thanks you all .  

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 29th, 2011 16:00

First, you have to use the driver below.  You need to download and run the file to extract the 6-8 files that will then need to go on a DVD, USB, etc.:

Second, you MUST configure RAID BEFORE attempting to boot to the OS DVD to install ... if RAID is not configured, then even with the correct driver, Windows won't see any drives to install to.  You configure RAID in CTRL-R during POST.

Third, given the size of your drives, it is may be necessary to point out some limitations:

• If you set up your drives in a single RAID 5, in order to use the full ~3TB it would offer, you can ONLY install 2008 on it by switching to UEFI (instead of BIOS). 
  • To avoid the 2TB limit, you can configure two RAID 1's, a RAID 6, or RAID 10 ... each would provide less than 2TB of space to install Windows to.Your
  • What is your plan/goal for partition/disk space?

Your drives are connected directly to the RAID controller, so turning the SATA ports on/off and switching between RAID/ATA mode in BIOS will not apply to your hard drives - it is for the onboard SATA connectors (DVD drive).

As a fourth option, you could also use the OpenManage SMTD DVD that came with the server ... boot to SMTD, follow prompts for RAID setup and installing the OS, insert 2008R2 DVD when prompted.  If you opted not to receive the OpenManage media, you can download it here (pay particular attention to the Installation Instructions on the Download page for each DVD ISO image):

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 1st, 2011 09:00

Yes, you don't have to wait for it to complete, unless you plan to dump data directly to the disks to fill the majority of it.  Installs copy files slow enough that you're fine just going ahead with it.

2 Posts

July 1st, 2011 09:00

Thank you for your help!  i really appreciate it.

I configured the raid controller in CTRL-R during POST.  The background initialization is about 45% - would I be able to install windows before initialization is completed?

Thank you,

Sam

1 Message

August 10th, 2012 17:00

Help! this is exactly my problem, but the links to the drivers and/or the Open Manager SMTD have expired or are now longer there. Can someone please help me get this driver and/or Open Manager Software? TYIA 

7 Posts

March 28th, 2013 07:00

Hi guys,

I have the same issue and as MTNWeb has stated the links have since expired.

I am using a Power Edge R420...

1 Message

June 28th, 2016 14:00

please send me the link to download these drivers

thanks

Roger

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 29th, 2016 09:00

Which drivers?

What server model do you have?
What RAID controller do you have?
What RAID configuration?
What version of Windows are you installing?

1 Message

August 16th, 2016 11:00

Hi!

Can you send me the links for the drivers for Poweredge R530. I'm trying to install windows 2008 R2 and I'm not using RAID.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 16th, 2016 12:00

What are you using? The drives have to be connected to "a" controller, even if it is non-RAID. For example, the H730 is capable of pass-through/JBOD/non-RAID, but you still have to have h730 drivers for it.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2016 09:00

I also have a similar problem

But what drivers I'm i to download

how i configure RAID

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2016 19:00

Which server? Which RAID controller? How many drives? What size/type? What RAID level are you using? What OS?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 26th, 2018 08:00

You need drivers. Are you installing Server 2008 (OS listed for this thread) or something else?

1 Message

September 26th, 2018 08:00

I'm installing Windows Server 2008 r2 on a Dell PowerEdge r710 and having the same issue. I just installed a DELL PERC H710 512MB 6GB/S PCI-E 2.0 PowerEdge RAID Controller VM02C W/ battery and set up 2 1 TB drives with RAID level 1 and have already initialized the drives. When I try to install the OS, the drives are not visible. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

No Events found!