Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2012 06:00

How do i re-install windows server 2003 x64 in our Dell Power Edge R300 Server?

Hi All,

Our company has a Dell Power Edge R300 Server (Rack Type) with Server 2003 x64 Standard Edition which is used for Exchange Server 2007 Standard Edition.

Now we are planning to re-build the exchange server, but we have exchange information store error..

Then we planned to re-install the server 2003 through bootable Server 2003 x64 DVD which boots successfully and further it gives us the below error,

Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected. And any disk related configuration is correct.ect.

Press F3 to quit. 

Then i tried to boot from the Dell Systems Build and Update Utility, it doesnt boot and further server 2003 starts. ( I checked the Dell DVD by booting it in another machine it boots) 

Do i need to uninstall the Dell System Administration or Installation files from the system and then try booting?

Please help!!!

Thank you

Tosh

9.3K Posts

January 19th, 2012 06:00

The message means that Windows didn't find your PERC controller. This is because it doesn't have a driver for it (native on the Windows install CD/DVD). To get Windows to install you have to download the PERC driver and extract it to a floppy drive. Now you reboot to the Windows CD and at the early stages (where it is scanning for raid and scsi adapters) you press F6 to manually add a scsi/raid driver. You have it load the driver from the floppy and it now should see the raid disk and be able to install Windows.

12 Posts

January 19th, 2012 07:00

Hi Rey,

I tried a couple of times to boot from SBUU disc but couldnt get on, windows server starts from there on......

www.dell.com/.../R300_Spec_Sheet_new.pdf, i dont find idrac in it....

Thanks

Tosh

892 Posts

Tosh, you might have a couple of choices here. When trying to boot to SBUU disc, press F11 when prompted in the upper right corner at post, press F11 and then select to boot from theoptical drive.

The other option is does your R300 have an idrac in it? if so, when booting press F10 to enter the Unified Server Configurator, and then choose OS deployment when you get in, then select the OS you are trying to install, and follow the steps.

12 Posts

Thanks Dev Mgr for your kind reply.

would like to know if i could get the driver PERC 6/E installed to a external hard drive rather a floppy disk?

Thanks

892 Posts

January 19th, 2012 08:00

Actually, I made a mistake, the R300 doesnt have the USC that I mentioned, so ignore that.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 19th, 2012 08:00

Rey's options will be the easiest on you, but if they don't work, then you can as Dev Mgr says, and load the driver.  2003 can ONLY get a driver during the installation process from a driver (modern OS's can use USB, CD, etc.).  If you don't have a floppy disk, you can use nLiteOS.com to integrate your RAID driver into your installation media ... this will create a new CD from which you can install with the drivers already on it.

What RAID controller do you have?  Some controllers (PERC 6/H700) require you to configure RAID BEFORE Windows will see any drives, even with the right driver.

4 Posts

January 20th, 2012 11:00

Floppy to install RAID drivers after pressing F6 during install or you can slipstream/inject the drivers into your install media like explained in this article.

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../12fc8159-bca4-4e41-aa2c-304a3e213d16

12 Posts

January 20th, 2012 21:00

Hi Guys,

Controller is SAS 6/iR Adapter

I Still when on to boot from the SBUU disc it doesnt...

Any solution further....

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 20th, 2012 22:00

Download nLite (http://nliteos.com) and the SAS 6/iR 2003x64 driver:

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

Use nLite to integrate the driver into the installation media (this will create a new CD).  You will also need to have Service Pack 2 on your 2003 media (you can use nLite to integrate that too if you don't already have it).

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 23:00

Hello theflash1932

i integrated the windows setup, sp2, driver into a bootable DVD ........but no luck...i boot from optical drive ...it doesnt  boot......nd windows server starts.

any thing else i can try?

Thank you

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 00:00

Hi

My server has a DVD ROM.

I noticed that when i insert the DVD's to my server it doesnt detect, only cds?

any idea?

892 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 06:00

so just so I am clear, you press F11, choose optical drive and it doesnt boot to the disc? also, for clarity, is your 2003 disc a cdrom or dvd?

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 06:00

There is a difference in the distance the laser needs to be to read CDs vs DVDs.  I have seen optical drives loose the ability to move back and forth between the two positions to read CDs or DVDs.  Do you have access to an external dvd drive?

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 21:00

its a CD.

12 Posts

February 1st, 2012 14:00

Thank you all for your support,,,,finally rectified.

No Events found!