Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2012 07:00

How to install Linux on Dell Blade servers

We have purchased PowerEdge M610  and M710 Blade Servers that come in 16 blade enclosure.

Network team is connecting the servers to switches and SAN.

What's the best way to install Linux on these blades remotely?

Instructions and manuals are much appreciated.

Please e-mail directly to (email removed by moderator) or reply to this thread.

Thanks.

• 

8.4K Posts

February 1st, 2012 08:00

lgitten,

The easiest way remotely is to access the CMC, then go to the iDrac for each unit and then mount the ISO via Virtual Media. -

go.us.dell.com/new.servicg9

Once the ISO is mounted you can boot the blade to the Boot Menu (F11) and then select the virtual Optical drive the RHEL ISO is mounted to. It will then boot to the install.

6 Posts

February 1st, 2012 11:00

What is iDrac?

6 Posts

February 1st, 2012 11:00

Where can we download iDrac?

• 

8.4K Posts

February 1st, 2012 12:00

The iDrac (Dell Remote Access Card) is installed in the blade. If you reply to the email I have sent you with the service tag of the blade I can look up what is installed. Depending on the iDrac installed will determine if we can install the OS remotely.

1 Message

February 9th, 2012 01:00

Good day all,

I have same problem as mr (ms) lgitten. I have 1x Dell PowerEdge R710, 1x  PowerEdge(TM) M1000e (with full PowerEdge(TM) M710HDs were installed + 2x PowerConnect(TM) M6348 + 1x Mellanox M2401G) and PowerVault NX3500 Unified Storage.

All thinks are pluged together and now I'm trying install CentOs on this system.

Could you give me some ideas or suggests (as detail as possible).

Many thanks again.

Roberd

Ps. If you can, please keep contact with me over <ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>

No Events found!