Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2009 02:00

How to install RHEL 4.5 on a Dell R710

Although, I know that RHEL 4.5 is not officially supported in Dell R710, we have an application that needs to have RHEL 4.5 installed and the only hardware we have available is the new one from Dell , which R710.

I have tested to install RHEL 4.5 on R710.

Here is my observation:

1.      Installation process was finished properly but none of the NIC was recognized.

2.      System hangs up on first reboot after installation.

It hangs on CPU probing – it stays in CPU 1 and hangs forever.

Do you have experience on that ? I think it should work but when system try to probe CPU model.

Something strange happens there (maybe wrong CPU flag something) and system hangs.

Can somebody point me to the right direction on how to try to install RHEL 4.5 on dell r710, what drivers do i need, it seems we can install it but during reboot there is a problem

rgds,

egghead

9.3K Posts

July 27th, 2009 09:00

If you cannot resolve the problems you ran into, there's always the option to install RHEL5 with the Xen kernel and run RHEL4.5 in a VM.

August 2nd, 2009 01:00

currently, installing VM in our dell r710 is not an option for us because our cusomter doesn't have VM and they dont want to run websense WCG on a VM .

Is there any other way that rhel 4.5 can be installed in a dell r710 box? because if it can be installed successfully and we just have problems with drivers for the nic , then that is an acceptable solution too, because we can compile nic drivers. Just need to be able to succesfully install and reboot without hanging and uncompressing the kernel.

thanks

glenn

egghead systems

1 Message

February 18th, 2010 07:00

SMP kernel won't, same problem happened to me.

The workaround is to use UP kernel, which will lose the performance but at least it works.

No Events found!