Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2014 06:00

Install Vmware Esxi 5.5 or Dell Customized 5.5

Hi folks,

we have 2 R610 server running with Esxi 5.1.
I have already updated the vcenter server but don't know which version i should use for the esxi upgrade,since the original installation was done by another guy.

Is this image on the R610 sitesuitable for the upgrade  VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0-1331820.x86_64-Dell_Customized_A02.iso ?

Or should i use the esxi 5.5 update iso from vmware?

Thanks,

S.B

• 

8.4K Posts

March 18th, 2014 08:00

Simonbb,

The difference between the 2 is just that our ESXi customized ISO has Dell drivers installed on the ISO. Whereas the Vmware ISO doesn't. Here is the link to the customized ISO - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r610?driverId=1P13P&osCode=XI55&fileId=3351007565&languageCode=EN&categoryId=EC

Yes it is suitable for the upgrade.

Let me know if this answers your question.

4 Posts

March 19th, 2014 04:00

Hi,

I'm in the same case (VCenter and other tools have been upgraded to the 5.5 U1 VMware and I'm waiting for planning ESXi upgrades).

If I'm not wrong the current DELL Custom ISO listed above is not the lastest VMWare Version. It's 5.5 instead of 5.5 update 1 ? Right ?

In such of case is it better to :

• upgrade with the VMWare official release 5.5 Update 1 ?
  • upgrade with the actual DELL Custom ISO 5.5 ?
  • waiting for a DELL update on 5.5 Update 1 ?

Thanks for your advices,

Regards,

SK.

4 Posts

March 19th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for your clear and precise answer.

As we have some R715 and other R720 (12th generation) I understand now that I should keep the DELL custom ISO for the update ;  and maybe wait a little to get from DELL the last custom 5.5U1 as soon as it will be ready if I want to avoid patching with VMWare Update Manager.

Regards,

SK

9.3K Posts

March 19th, 2014 08:00

I would suggest to upgrade using the Dell customized ISO and then use the VMware Update Manager to patch the host to the latest. This way you know for sure you aren't missing certain NIC or raid controller drivers.

However, if you are using slightly older servers (9th to 11th generation PowerEdge), odds are that VMware's ISO has all the drivers you'd need and you could use the 5.5 U1 ISO to upgrade.

VMware is usually a bit sluggish putting the latest drivers on their ISO and therefor the install may not see certain network cards or raid controllers (these are the 2 most crucial ones to be missing as without any recognized network cards ESXi won't install and without the raid controller driver it won't see the virtual disk to install on (if you're not using the SD card option for installing ESXi on)).

14 Posts

April 9th, 2014 04:00

Is there any details that map the Dell A02.iso to a particular VMware ESXi build number as I'm having trouble upgrading from A01 to A02 on PE2950 and R710 but I'm not sure if the running version of ESXi which has all the applicable patches applied is more up to date than the A02 build

I'm open to correction but updating and upgrading are seen as different in VMwares world and I'd like to upgrade to 5.5u1 and that update it with the latest patches vmware might have released

Is there an ETA on a Dell customised 5.5u1 ISO if its not A02 ?

10 Posts

April 9th, 2014 08:00

Its not A02. A02 is a dell version of Dell image Esxi 5.5 only.

Information from Dell Hypervisor Engineering team: "Dell customized 5.5 Update1 is planned to be released this month (~4/20 )".

1 Message

April 24th, 2014 01:00

hi,

any updates about releasing Dell customized 5.5 Update1? i have checked but didn't find anything so far.

on the other hand i am wondering if after installing ESXI Dell customized 5.5 then applied Vmware product update 1 patch, will with works? is it safe?

thanks in advance for your support.

1 Message

May 13th, 2014 15:00

Yes that is the recommended method to upgrade with same version level I.e 5.5.

Start upgrade with latest Dell customized iso image. Then update to latest build From vmware 5.5 u1 iso image. 

4 Posts

July 9th, 2014 10:00

Are there any issues when using the Dell customized ISO file with vSphere Update Manager to perform the upgrade to ESXi 5.5 on SD card?  It has been a long time since I upgraded to 5.1, but it seems like I was getting an error when I tried using the Dell ISO with Update Manager to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1, and so I ended up just doing a clean install using the Dell ISO for 5.1.  Thanks.

No Events found!