Kauzig
1 Copper

Install windows server 2016 on a VM

Jump to solution

Hallo,

I want to install my windows server 2016 license on a VM.

This VM is running on my T330 server with which i bought the license .

After trying to install the OS, the system tells me that i only can install this license on the T330, i think it should be able to install it on the same system as a VM isn't it?

Wanna run the VM under VMware ESXi 6.5

best regards 

Kauzig

0 Kudos
6 Replies

RE: Install windows server 2016 on a VM

Jump to solution

Hi,

Try adding the line to your VM config smbios.addHostVendor = “TRUE”

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
ks4ec
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I know this is an old post but I thought I would give it a try anyway.

I am having a problem similar to this, received a new dell server with VMWare 6.5 preinstalled on the SD cards.

Set up VMWare, installed 2 guests with the supplied server 2016 server OEM DVD, it is asking me for a product key when I try to activate them. This is a remote system at a customers location. Did I miss the product key on the box somewhere?  Where could I find it? or is my problem the same and I just need to add the line to the configs also?

0 Kudos
Eric9999
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello,

I know this is an old post, but I have the same problem. I add the specified line to my VM config file but no chance. I did not have any sticker on my server with product ID. (Windows server 2016 OEM)

Did find a solution ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Brian Truman
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey there, I'm in the same boat as you were. Did you find a solution? I did exactly like they said and added smbios.addHostVendor with a value of TRUE to the ESXI configuration parameters of the VM and got nothing. 

0 Kudos
Brian Truman
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I got this one figured out!

I ordered my server with Windows Server 2016 as a secondary OS, so I wasn't expecting it, but they stuck the product key label on the back of the unit. Since it was ordered as a secondary, I was expecting the product key to be on the sleeve of the disk. I also read that if it's a VM the installation media has a key that it uses, which added to the confusion - must have been for something else. 

There should be a little blue square that you have to scratch off in order to see the full key, but it's there. Then you just activate on Windows as expected - The Key was not embedded in the BIOS. 

0 Kudos
shahpar
1 Copper

Re: Install windows server 2016 on a VM

Jump to solution

@Kauzig wrote:

Hallo,

I want to install my windows server 2016 license on a VM.

This VM is running on my T330 server with which i bought the license .

After trying to install the OS, the system tells me that i only can install this license on the T330, i think it should be able to install it on the same system as a VM isn't it?

Wanna run the VM under VMware ESXi 6.5

best regards 

Kauzig

How you Fix it ?

0 Kudos