Highlighted
Laurent CREPET
1 Copper

Installing Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA and driver mpt2sas on PE2950 running CentOS 5.5

Hi,

I have installed a Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA into a PowerEdge 2950 running CentOS 5.5 32-bit. I will use this HBA to connect to an MD3200.

I have used the DVD supplied with MD3200 and ran into problems. At the end of the installation, I have rebooted the server. After the reboot, the server was unable to mount /dev/sdb1, which is a RAID5 volume powered by the internal Perc6i HBA.

"fdisk -l /dev/sdb" shows the unique partition /dev/sdb1, but mount cannot mount it, returning an error (device busy or does not exist).

After talking to Dell Support, I'm using CentOS instead of RHEL, so I must do more on my side ;-) In addition, even if I would use RHEL 5.5, it seems that this problem is not a known issue.

Then, I looked at the downloads and found some updates to support RHEL 5.5, including driver mpt2sas and MD3200 DVD.

I downloaded both and started the installation.

I installed R266975-mpt2sas-02.00.03.00-1.tar.gz (for Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA on RHEL 5.5), which contains  mpt2sas driver version 02.00.03.00. The installation runs smoothly. After installing this driver, I think I will fall into the same issue than previously, with system not able to mount /dev/sdb1.

Here is my thought: /etc/modprobe.conf is not correctly modified.

[root@stone ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf

alias eth0 bnx2

alias eth1 bnx2

alias scsi_hostadapter megaraid_sas

alias scsi_hostadapter1 ata_piix

alias scsi_hostadapter2 qla2xxx

alias scsi_hostadapter3 usb-storage

alias scsi_hostadapter mpt2sas

# Begin Dell MD Modification

options scsi_dh_rdac blacklist="DELL:MD3000,DELL:MD3000i"

# End Dell MD Modification

I think "alias scsi_hostadapter mpt2sas" should be "alias scsi_hostadapter4 mpt2sas" to avoid conflicts with megaraid_sas driver. When booting, megaraid_sas is loaded (through initrd, etc.) to mount /boot, /, etc. But when the "other" filesystems are being mounted, mpt2sas has been loaded and is replacing megaraid_sas as scsi_hostadapter.
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Laurent.

--
Laurent CREPET

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Laurent CREPET
1 Copper

Re: Installing Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA and driver mpt2sas on PE2950 running CentOS 5.5

The issue does not seem to be linked with mpt2sas driver but with the MD3200 "Host" software that I have installed on the server. I've just faced the same issue when rebooting the server. I had to uninstall the software quickly because the server is in production (need to add the MD3200 connectivity to add storage).

Thanks for your help,

Laurent.

--

Laurent CREPET.

0 Kudos