Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 19th, 2016 08:00

Installing Windows Server 2012 R2 on R610 hangs on reboot

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 on a Dell R610 with H700. I can get setup to run but after copying files and rebooting, the blue windows logo comes up and the dots begin to spin but then stop and then nothing happens.

I can install Window Server 2008 R2 no problem and I have used this install to patch the server to all the latest firmware but I can't get past this hanging install. I even tried upgrading the 2008 install but the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 19th, 2016 12:00

Hello.

What method are you employing to install the Windows Server 2012 R2 ?

14 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 00:00

Hi Robert,

Just the tried the old fashioned way. From Windwos Server 2008 R2, I ran the install off the CD and I have also tried clean booting off the install CD.

Is there some other way that's needed?

Thanks

Mike

14 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 05:00

Hi Robert,

Seems like a driver issue as 2008 R2 works fine.

Any ideas or do I need to do the install a different way

Thanks

Mike

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2016 07:00

Do you have any third party hardware installed on the server? If so, remove the hardware and try again. Otherwise, try using the LifeCycle Controller (LCC) by pressing F10 on POST then OS deployment. Before  Deploying OS, first apply the LCC updates on link: www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails and then load OS Deployment drivers from link: www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails.

14 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 15:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for replying.

A couple of questions:

1) Do I need a windows OS installed to install the updates to the life cycle controller version or s there another way.

2) I have gone into the Life Cycle controller to try and update it for the OS driver pack but its not seeing my USB drive. What do I need to do so that the lifecycle controller sees my USB drive. I assume I will also have this issue when trying to install the OS as this is also on a USB stick.

Thanks in advance for the help

Mike

14 Posts

March 7th, 2016 06:00

Hi Robert,

I have now installed all the updates to the server through the platform update in the LCC. I do now get an option to install Windows Server 2012 but I am still getting the server hanging during install. At the first screen where the windows logo comes up and there is a spinning set of dots, the dots spin for 1 second and then the screen hangs. I have recreted the array and tried a different ISO image but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

14 Posts

March 9th, 2016 04:00

Hi Robert,

Windows Server 200 R2 installs with no issue so it certainly looks like a driver type issue but I have updated everything I can possibly update and it's still hanging.

I've run out of ideas?

Can you advise anything else to try?

Thanks

Mike

14 Posts

March 16th, 2016 06:00

Hi Robert,

Trying one more time.

Windows Server 2008 R2 works fine.

Windows Server 2012 R2 - Setup runs and then copies files but then on reboot, hangs when the windows symbol appears on the screen.

I've updated everything (firmware / drivers/bios etc) that's updateable and I've tried through the LCM and plain install.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

14 Posts

January 20th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

Can't believe it's been almost a year since the last post but this week an engineer came out and swapped the motherboard on the R610. Still no joy!

If anyone has any ideas what to do, please let me know!

Summary

Replaced motherboard

H700 controller card

Memory

Tried 1 processor at a time (in case it was one or the other).

Used an external SATA drive instead of the array

It works 100% with Server 2008 R2

It does not work with Server 2012 or 2016. It hangs at exactly the same place, everytime when running setup during the message "Windows is loading files".

Any ideas gratefully received

Thanks

Mike

1 Message

October 5th, 2017 05:00

Old post, but if you still need suggestions I would try taking out the SD flash card if your PowerEdge is equipped with this.

No Events found!