Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2017 09:00

Installing Windows Server 2016 on R710

I have problem installing Windows Server 2016 on R710 - I have 16% complete window status during install.

I run the Dell EMS update SUU-WIN32_17.07.200.173 but no additional install drivers was required.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 14th, 2017 10:00

Hello

Windows Server 2016 is not supported on the R710. If you are having installation issues then I suggest removing any unnecessary hardware during install.

www.dell.com/support/contents/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/enterprise-resource-center/server-operating-system-support

If the installation will not complete at minimum hardware then you can try to manually install drivers for the remaining hardware. Since the 2016 is not supported on the R710 we may not have additional drivers available for that operating system. The installation of an unsupported OS will be trial and error.

Thanks

4 Posts

August 18th, 2017 13:00

I installed successfully Windows Server 2016 - I have another question.

I have a virtual disk 0 with 6 HD (1TB). In the disk management I see C NTFS boot partition (2047.22GB),  system and recovery partition (350MB and 450 MB) and 3538.00GB of unallocated space - how to create a partition and allocate it (I want to use this disk space)?

When I right click I see disabled items - New Simple volume, etc. are grayed out.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 18th, 2017 14:00

In the disk management I see C NTFS boot partition (2047.22GB)

It looks like you did not configure the file system to use GUID partition tables(GPT). Windows will not boot to an NTFS drive larger than 2TB unless it is in a GPT. I don't think you can convert NTFS to GPT, but I'm not sure. You can check Microsoft documentation. A 3rd party application may also be able to convert.

Another consideration is that the boot mode must to set to UEFI for you to be able to boot to GPT. Changing the boot modes after OS installation should not be done.

You will likely need to reinstall the operating system to correct these issues.

Thanks

September 21st, 2018 18:00

I realize this was over a year ago, but what did you do to successfully install Server2016 on your Dell R710?

9 Posts

November 29th, 2018 18:00

Here are what I did to successfully install WS 2016 on R710.

• Update all firmware of R710 (e.g., BIOS, Lifecycle, iDrac, RAID controller, and so on) by downloading them from Dell
  • Prepare new DVD containing Lifecycle Driver Pack and bootable USB of Windows 2016 because file size of WS 2016 ISO file is greater than 6 GB
    • Use DVD-RW to burn the driver pack ISO file.
    • Use open-source Rufus to create a bootable USB drive (GPT/NTFS) containing  WS 2016 installation files
      • Without Rufus, one may get into a deep rabbit hole.
  • Install driver pack to the machine using lifecycle controller
    • F10 to go into Lifecycle and use Platform update to load drivers
  • Install WS 2016 with the USB drive
  • Test the machine as file server
No Events found!