Highlighted
ThiruR900
1 Nickel

Installing windows 2012 R2 on Poweredge R900 with Raid

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have installed Windorws 2012 R2 on my Poweredge R900 it has raid controller Perc 6/I with 5 SAS 300 GB HDD but i am not sure on what level of raid the OS installed. When I check the the disk manager C: drive shows 790 GB but as a Dell Virtual Disk shows 1.35 TB approx. Could any one please explain what level of raid the OS is on and how to check it.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theflash1932
6 Indium

RE: Installing windows 2012 R2 on Poweredge R900 with Raid

Jump to solution

If you have 5x300GB disks in a RAID array, and the total size of the array is ~1.35TB, you can only have them in a RAID 0. Click on the RAID 0 to see the  member disks - you will probably see only one virtual disk, you will probably see all 5 disks as members of that VD, and you will probably see 0GB of available space on each.

So, C: is 803GB ... what other partitions are there?

In RAID 0, if a disk fails, EVERYTHING is gone. You are almost guaranteed to have some data loss already. I would recommend you get a backup, wipe out your RAID 0 and configure a larger RAID 5 (or 6 would be better).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Install OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator):

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=V1JDD&fileId=3365593125&os...

Go to Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks to see the RAID level. 

0 Kudos
ThiruR900
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply

I can see it is RAID-0 level.  and size is 1.39 TB .. how do I check which disk is on raid and what happen if any disk fails. The C: drive onlye shows 803 GB

Thanks

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

If you have 5x300GB disks in a RAID array, and the total size of the array is ~1.35TB, you can only have them in a RAID 0. Click on the RAID 0 to see the  member disks - you will probably see only one virtual disk, you will probably see all 5 disks as members of that VD, and you will probably see 0GB of available space on each.

So, C: is 803GB ... what other partitions are there?

In RAID 0, if a disk fails, EVERYTHING is gone. You are almost guaranteed to have some data loss already. I would recommend you get a backup, wipe out your RAID 0 and configure a larger RAID 5 (or 6 would be better).

0 Kudos
ThiruR900
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I did Raid 6 . Thank you it helped me lot

0 Kudos
ThiruR900
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi

I have created Raid 6 and trying to install windows 2012 r2 but it is not showing the disk to install. Virtual disk created and initialized in Raid I call physical disk also but not while installing windows 2012. Please help

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Your system firmware is probably out of date. 2012 has native drivers for the PERC 6, but it requires a minimum firmware level. Update the BIOS, ESM/BMC, then PERC to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
ThiruR900
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

No it has everything upto date, all the latest Dell driver for poweredge R900 installed. I just tried to clear the RAID configuration and recreated the Raid 6 again and tried for installation it worked. Smiley Happy

Thanks for you help

0 Kudos