Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2021 07:00

Issues with users CAL on Windows server 2019

Heelo 

I have a new PowerEdge R740  . With the server we purchased 5 users CAL license ( We got only a certificate whic approve is was purchased for us by the seller . 

According to Microsoft support once I activated the server ( Activate server option is available after the installation of the necessary services) , no need to perform anything else . However every time I restart the server I get a message saying "Remote desktop licensing mode is not configured" along with the number of days I have left until it will be expired . So to me it seems I still need to complete the activation ... 

Any help would be much appreciated 

• 

3.4K Posts

February 1st, 2021 00:00

Hello,

i well received the service tag in private. If I'm not mistaken, the operating system was not OEM purchased with this server so we cannot escalate the CAL issue internally. I recommend that you check with Microsoft or the operating system vendor.
Regards
Marco

• 

8.4K Posts

January 21st, 2021 13:00

NoamAS,

Can you confirm in the RD Licensing Diagnoser if there is just the single warning or two?

As far as the issue you're seeing to correct the problem you simply be able to use powershell and then use SetSpecifiedLicenseServerList() method were it takes the FQDN of the licensing server. Once completed you can use the GetSpecifiedLicenseServerList() to confirm.   

Refresh the Diagnoser and then you should set the Licensing Mode, we can use the ChangeMode() method. The value of 4 will relate to Per User, and 2 will relate to Per Device. You can confirm this by checking the LicensingName and LicensingType attributes. 

Let me know what you see.

43 Posts

January 25th, 2021 05:00

Thank you . 

I'll check that as soon and let you . 

43 Posts

January 26th, 2021 03:00

Hi @DELL-Chris H 

I have 2 warnings (See screenshot) . Also when I try to run the first command you have mentioned I get the following error : 

Although it says Windows Server 2016  I have 2019 

Thx !2021-01-26_13-12-21.png2021-01-26_13-37-04.png

• 

3.4K Posts

January 26th, 2021 04:00

Hello,

unfortunately the images you posted are not available.

Please can you copy/past the error?

Thanks

Marco

43 Posts

January 26th, 2021 22:00

Hi @DELL-Marco B  

I get 2 warnings under remote desktop diagnostics : 

"The licensing mode for the remote desktop session host server is not configured"

"The remote desktop session host server is within its grace period , but the RD session host server has not been configured with any license server"

Thx . 

• 

3.4K Posts

January 27th, 2021 05:00

Hello,

we need to escalate this issue to the software support.

Please can you give me the service tag fo the server in private message?

Thanks

Marco

43 Posts

January 31st, 2021 01:00

Sent . 

43 Posts

February 7th, 2021 00:00

Thank you 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 7th, 2021 11:00

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/troubleshoot-vm-configuration#

There is support for this but its not free.

First, your server must be joined to an Active Directory domain for Per User mode to work properly.  Second, you can set the licensing mode and specify the FQDN (itself) of your RD Licensing server via group policy (e.g. gpedit.msc):

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing\

Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers     Enabled

Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode     Enabled

It means if there is RDCB in your RDS environment and you add RDSH servers to RDCB server pool ,we can select task-->edit deployment properties-->RD licensing 
select "per device" mode for RDS per device cal or "per user"mode for RDS per user cal ,and specify RD Licensing server  for your RDSH servers.

RDCRDC

• 

3.4K Posts

February 8th, 2021 00:00

thanks for this information.

Marco

43 Posts

April 25th, 2021 06:00

Thank you . I somehow missed your reply . The server is not part of any domain or active directory yet as the server will be shipped to a customer later on 

No Events found!