Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2015 18:00

Keyboard layout problem on PowerEdge M610 Virtual Console on Linux and FreeBSD

Hello,

Today I tried to install Debian 8.1.0 (Jessie) and FreeBSD 10.2 on two M610 blades.

I'm using an Italian keyboard and I'm having a lot of troubles with the keyboard layout working from the virtual console (iDRACView Version 2.52). The IDRAC6 version of the server is 3.75 (Build 5). Installing the same OS version on two M520 blades the keyboard works perfectly.

Using Linux or FreeBSD from the virtual console of the M610 the keyboard layout is completely messed up: the letters works, a lot of symbols aren't working. It isn't a US keyboard layout, I didn't find some symbol at all, I get some strange ASCII symbols instead of the pipe and backslash for example.

I have to work with both Debian Jessie and FreeBSD 10.2 so someone knows if is it possible to solve this problem?

Right now I'm working on the servers using SSH where the keyboard works perfectly but I'd like to have the correct keyboard layout also from Virtual Console.

Thanks in Advance,
Davide

16 Posts

August 29th, 2015 21:00

Hello,
I made some work editing the keymap file it.iso.kbd on FreeBSD 10.2, after this modifications I resolved some issues with these keys: pipe, backslash, apostrophe, question mark. But I discovered a big problem using the Virtual Console: some keys of my italian keyboard don't send any scancode to the FreeBSD.
I used a tool called kbdscan to get the raw scancodes, sent to the syscons kernel driver, sent by pressing any malfunctioning key on the keyboard. with the raw scancodes I edited the keymap solving some problems but when I press the keys highlighted (in yellow) in the file attached the FreeBSD driver doesn't receive anything so I can't get them working.
I don't know if this problem can be solved making some modification to the IDRAC configuration or can be solved only modifing the IDRAC6 firmware.

Kind regards,
Davide

1 Attachment

No Events found!