Highlighted
umtech
Bronze

Linux Distro for PE 2650

Hi everyone, thanks for the taking the time to look at this thread and hopefully answering my question Smiley Wink Well I have a poweredge 2650 and I was wondering what was the easiest, most hassle free, and stable Linux distribution that I should install on it? I'm very new to Linux (read complete newbie) and I am looking for a distribution that is easy to install and has excellent driver support. I've heard good things about Ubuntu and I saw that RedHat Enterprise Linux is officially supported under the drivers section for the PE 2650. Are those two my only options? Could SuSE be a viable alternative keeping the aforementioned requirements in mind? This would be the first linux distro that I would delve into to really try and learn the OS. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dev Mgr
Diamond

Re: Linux Distro for PE 2650

Most modern distros probably have native support for all hardware on the 2650, so drivers wouldn't be too much of an issue.

If you want to play with a distro that would be supported of most servers in a corporate environment, you can use Red Hat 3, 4 or 5, or try SuSE 9 or 10.

The 2650 doesn't support x64 processor extensions, so you do need to make sure you get the x86 version of the linux distro you decide to try.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos