Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2014 12:00

OMSA in a ESXi host

how do i install OMSA on a ESXi 5.5 host to manage raid and propietary data?

it's not very clear, i think i've read something abotu needing a vMA virtual machine running?

• 

8.4K Posts

June 5th, 2014 13:00

Glovato,

Here is a walkthrough I created to assist in loading OMSA for ESXi 

Download the Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi 5.5

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=YCYN1&fileId=3365343039&osCode=XI55&productCode=poweredge-t320&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM

Log onto a Windows machine on the same network.

Type in the IP of the ESXi server in a Internet Explorer window.

Download the VI Remote CLI tool, or Vsphere. Those tools can be downloaded right there from the webpage that comes up.

Installing the offline VIB bundle

Copy the OMSA 7.4 VIB to the ESXi host (/var/log/vmware or /vmfs/volumes/ )

Run the following command from the vSphere CLI prompt:

esxcli.exe --server software vib install –d

Example:   C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib install -d /var/log/vmwar/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.4.0-876.VIB-ESX55i_A00.zip

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Installation Result

Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the   changes to be effective.

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed: Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_7.4-0000

VIBs Removed:

VIBs Skipped:

Reboot, Check Software > Advanced Settings for UserVars.CIMvmw_OpenManageProviderEnabled should already be set to 1

Verify OMSA VIB on ESXi 5

esxcli.exe --server software vib list

Example:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib list

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Name                    Version                             Vendor  Acceptance Level  Install Date

----------------------  ----------------------------------  ------  ----------------  ------------

Dell-Configuration-VIB  5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

Dell-License-VIB        5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

OpenManage              7.4-0000                            Dell    VMwareAccepted    2011-10-05

That installs the server side of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for the workstation -

Download OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node version 6.5 from Dell’s support site (not the OpenManage Server Administrator Web Services under the ESXi downloads)

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=V1JDD&fileId=3365593125&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=poweredge-t320&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM

On a separate windows machine install OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node and choose ‘Custom’ install.

When choosing features make sure Server Administrator Web Server is selected (If installing on a desktop it could be the only option).

Once the install is complete, double-click on the server administrator icon.

On the login page Enter the ESXi server ip address, use root for the user, and the  root password. Make sure to check the option to ignore certificate warnings.

Done! You should be able to access the OpenManage Managed Node Web Interface.

Let me know how it goes.

41 Posts

June 6th, 2014 07:00

that's a lot of steps, i'll be doing them probably today with luck or next week!

41 Posts

June 10th, 2014 06:00

worked like a charm!

1 Message

January 7th, 2015 11:00

I was not able to get this to work until I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 for the host OS on which to install the Managed Node software (happen to use the current version v7.4).

1 Message

June 22nd, 2015 09:00

I am not able to get this to work with vSphere 6 and Server 2012.  Has anyone else been able to get this to work and do you have any tips?

After attempting to log in the "Verifying Credentials" page appears for 30 seconds and then I get "login failed... Connection timed out" message.

On my vm host I installed the Dell Esxi package from the link, however when I do the step to verify vib list I only see the entry for Openmanage and it says "Partner Supported" not "VMWare Accepted".  I do not have these two in my list:

Dell-Configuration-VIB  5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

Dell-License-VIB        5.0-0                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2011-10-05

I've changed my vm host password so it doesn't have any special characters because I've read this could be a problem.  Also, I've tried to also include the port # :1311 when entering the IP but that didn't work either.

Thank you very much for any help.

Bryan

1 Message

February 22nd, 2018 08:00

What if I want to use HPSIM to monitor Dell servers? Do I still need to install OMSA y a windows computer? Because after installing VIBs on the ESXi servers I'm not able to access https:// :1311 (OMSA default port).

Any help will be wihgly appreciated.

1 Message

August 4th, 2019 15:00

This definitely worked for me. I had forgotten the fact you have to change the host to ESXI itself. (Using Esxi Credentials instead of local admin(Windows.). Thanks a bunch!

1 Message

September 25th, 2020 08:00

Thanks Chris for this very helpful, clear and comprehensive post. If only all posts were this clear..

Colin.

No Events found!