Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2013 17:00

PE2650 Ubuntu "boot device not available"

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I bought an older PowerEdge 2650 server off craigslist, it was tested and all the hardware works on it. The guy said that he could load Ubuntu on it for $25, I opted to do it myself. The problem is that when I turn it on, after POST, it comes up with "boot device not available, strike f1 to retry, press f2 for setup."

After hours (up till 6 AM) of messing with almost every setting that seemed even remotely related to the problem I have come up with nothing. I have tried loading the Diagnostics CD, same thing. My thought is that the cd drive is toast or something to that tune.Unfortunatly, these servers do not boot from USB.

It does have the option to PXE boot, is there a way to install Ubuntu Server using this option? I have another server that I have Ubuntu Server loaded on so setting up a PXE server isnt a problem.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 8th, 2013 20:00

"when I turn it on, after POST, it comes up with "boot device not available, strike f1 to retry, press f2 for setup"

This just means that there is no device with bootable media.

what version of Ubuntu are you installing?  DVD drives were NOT standard on 2650's, and Ubuntu 13.04 (and 12.10 too, I think) was DVD-sized, so make sure you actually have a DVD drive you are attempting to install with.

Boot to BIOS Setup (F2), make sure that the optical drive is enabled (in Integrated Devices, I believe), and that it is listed AND enabled (checkmark) in the Boot Sequence.

That said, yes, your drive may be toast if you aren't ever able to boot to a CD.  Many older laptop drives will work in a 2650 though ... if you have one handy.

No, these servers are too old for booting USB.

I'm not sure about installing Ubuntu via PXE, but there are articles on Ubuntu's site for doing just that.

No Events found!