Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2010 11:00

PowerEdge 1800 hangs after BMC load after switching RAID HDDs

Hey, I'm bit of a newbie on these machines but I'm eager to learn more. Just this week I ran into a problem at work with our PowerEdge 1800 Server.

The server is/was running a Windows 2003 Server Standard

This is how the story goes:

1. 2 of 3 HDDs in our RAID5 setup start giving out warnings

2. We get 3 new larger HDDs and I backup all the partitions on the server using GParted.

3. I replace the HDDs with the new ones and build a new larger RAID5

4. I partition the RAID using GParted and run the data back on the partitions from the images I took. (And update the flags of the partitions making the utilities hidden and windows partition bootable)

This is where it gets interesting. The system boots fine to the utility partition when pressing F10 at startup, but when trying a normal startup the system hangs after Baseboard Management Controller is loaded. The diagnostics light in the front panel is steady blue. 

I have also ran fixmbr, fixboot and bootcfg /rebuild on recovery console.

I will update on this tomorrow, but I would love if you guys got any tips or tricks that might get me forward.  Thanks a lot in advance fellows.

3 Posts

October 21st, 2010 06:00

Forgot to mention that the RAID5 is ran on a PERC 4/SC controller

3 Posts

October 21st, 2010 08:00

I've been tinkering around trying this and that but no cake yet. 

I did notice this in the startup though: "MPT boot rom no supported devices found"

Which would indicate that for some reason the server is refusing to boot from the RAID? 

Any ideas on which bit and where I should invert to make the RAID bootable? I did set device 0 as boot on the raid utilities :/

No Events found!