I could not get e-mail last night and when i came in this morning. The Exchange Server had the blue screen of death and will not reboot. This also happens in safe mode. Any suggestions short of total system rebuild? I do have a good backup from the end of the week.
With the information you provided the only suggestion would be to rebuild.
More information to maybe help prevent this would be:
- what error code is on the blue screen?
- is there a driver or file being referenced on the blue screen?
- have you tried safe mode (even if it blue screens, maybe you can see on which driver/service it blue screens)?
- have you disconnected everything from the back of the server other than keyboard/mouse, monitor and power (so no NIC, no tape, no fiber channel, etc) to see if the system will boot then?
- does the raid controller show any issues with the raid set?
Member since 2003
I have seen the same issue after a power outage, using a known stable O/S (Win 2K3) that does not do this on other machines. I built O/S images sequentially, monitoring for stability in between and am almost certain that this is caused by unstable drivers for either the generic USB mouse/keyboard and/or Intel GigE drivers.
I would suggest using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard and DELL ENET drivers to start. (Intel drivers blue screen the O/S repeatedly). If you still see the issue, then contact DELL to issue an ENET driver update.
Yes, a bit more info might help, what OS/Exchange version? Contrary to common belief, not all forum member have a crystal ball....personally I sent mine out for cleaning/ polishing/ calibrating a month ago, still have not gotten it back.