Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2014 15:00

PowerEdge R210-1: Deploy new OS - win server 2008 datacenter

Hi, I already have a SUSE linux Enterprise server 11 installed in my PE R210-1. But I want to replace this one and instead install a Windows Server 2008_datacenter.

I have a winServer_2008 ISO image and I´ve put it into an USB with the Unetbootin tool (allows me to extract an ISO image into a USB drive)

I restart my R210 server, set my USB as my first boot device , but nothing happens.

I restart my R210 server, strike f10 key, entering system services, "starting unified server configuration", "OS deployment" , Select drive source, specify drive source, I selected local drive (CD/DVD/USB) and then I got this message: " No volume available for local repository)

Could some one help me to describe the correct procedure to install the new OS ?

Did I miss something like add some drivers or specific files into my USB drive???

please help me...

• 

6.2K Posts

May 4th, 2014 17:00

Hello

Did I miss something like add some drivers or specific files into my USB drive???

No, there is nothing special to booting to USB. This is likely an issue with the media. If you are seeing the USB device as a boot option but it is not seen as being bootable then the issue is likely with the media. I would suggest reaching out to the unetbootin community.

A quick search revealed that the 32 bit version of unetbootin does not support UEFI boot mode, so if the server is set to UEFI that could be your issue.

Thanks

May 5th, 2014 20:00

Thank you Daniel, well, I burned a WinServer2008 image and a winserver 2003 image into a DVD (each image in a different DVD ) with ROXIO Creator software.

I installed a CD/DVR-ROM drive in my PowerEdge R210 server without any problem.

I repeat all the process: starting unified server configuration", "OS deployment" , Select drive source, specify drive source, I selected local drive (CD/DVD/USB), Select Media (Appears the name of my Winserver DVD) , I selected it, I left empy the Catalog location box, clicked NEXT button , and I´ve got this message:

" Catalog file not found, make sure that the Windows (R) catalog and DELL (TM) update packages for Windows (R) are used".

I repeat the process with the other WinServer2003 DVD and I´ve got the same message.

I dont know what kind of packeges I have to include in my DVD,

any suggestions??

I really appreciate your help.

thanks.

• 

6.2K Posts

May 7th, 2014 10:00

" Catalog file not found, make sure that the Windows (R) catalog and DELL (TM) update packages for Windows (R) are used".

It should not be asking for a catalog location when you choose the OS deployment option. I can think of two possible reasons it would do this, either you are selecting platform update instead of OS deployment or the OS driver pack is not present. The LifeCycle Controller should have the necessary drivers to deploy an OS. If they are not present then run these updates:

Update the LCC to the latest:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=7Y5M4&fileId=3364545105&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=poweredge-r210&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SV

Update the OS driver pack to the latest:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=W9RKT&fileId=3194476727&osCode=WLHS1&productCode=poweredge-r210&languageCode=EN&categoryId=DD

You can install these through the iDRAC. Connect to the iDRAC web interface. There is an option for Update and Rollback. Download the .usc version of the LCC update and the Windows 32 bit DUP for the OS driver pack to your computer. Direct the updater to those files and it will perform the updates. You can update from your computer. You do not need to have them on local file storage. Run the LCC update first and then the OS driver pack.

Thanks

May 6th, 2018 15:00

I definitely got the same issuee. I have server 2016 installed and finally got the Idrac to update as well as LC. However, that error "no update is available . make sure the windows(R) catalog and Dell(TM) update packages for windows(R) are used" comes up. 

BIOS 2.1.15

LC 1.7.5.4

iDrac 2.90

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

November 4th, 2023 03:15

How can someone install the Dell LifeCycle Controller v1.6.5 Repair Package or Dell OS Driver Pack, Version 7.3.0.10, A00 without an OS? My attempts to install OS only got "No volume available for local repository." I was also not able to install the lateness  "No volume available for local repository." Please advise. Thank you.

• 

3.6K Posts

06-11-2023 02:45 AM

Hello thanks for choosing Dell. What server model is this? And which OS? You will need to manually find all the device drivers yourself.

Respectfully,

Professionnel des médias sociaux et des communautés
#IWork4Dell

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

November 4th, 2023 03:26

CORRECTION:l  I was also not able to install the latest Tools and Documents 3465.A00..iso; I got the same "No volume available for local repository." Thank you

No Events found!