Highlighted
chri55yb0y
1 Copper

PowerEdge R510 BIOS, 1.9.0

Jump to solution

Hi

I'm trying to install this latest BIOS update onto Windows 2008 R2 X64 but keeps failing with "not compatible with your version of Windows" etc.  I've tried the normal 08 R2 download, the plain 08 X64 download and neither will install.

Is there another version of this update somewhere that is 64bit OS compatible?

Thanks for any help

Chris

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: PowerEdge R510 BIOS, 1.9.0

Jump to solution

Correct, the iDRAC adds the platform update feature.

Please try these files and let me know what the outcome is.

ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00180061M/1/BIOS_NGVY8_WN32_1.9.0.EXE

ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00123548M/2/R510_BIOS_NGVY8_WN32_1.9.0.EXE

Thanks

Daniel Covey
Dell EMC| Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter:@DellCaresPRO
Download our QRL app:iOS, Android, Windows
Dell Networking Resources

Jump to solution

Chris, the file you want is here at the link below. I think what gave you problems before was that you probably clicked "Download File" and it defaults to the DOS based file. I have submitted a ticket to get this changed.
www.dell.com/.../19

if  you go to the above link, expand the bios section, then click the "Dell-Bios", Server BIOS 11G, or More download formats, you will see the complete list of BIOS file types that can be downloaded.

19 Replies

Jump to solution

What are the names of the files you have already tried?

Another method would be to use the USC to perform a platform update. If you have the option to use the USC, I would suggest it.

support.dell.com/.../USCUGMR.pdf

Thanks.

Daniel Covey

0 Kudos
chri55yb0y
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have tried the following file:

PER510-010900C.exe

This file is the same whether I select 2008 R2 or 2008 X64.

I've gone into USC from boot and there is no option there for Platform Update, all I have in the left hand pane are:

OS Deployment

Hardware Diagnostics

Network Settings

About

Having read through the link you supplied, it would appear that I need an optional iDRAC6 card installed to utilise this feature, is this correct?

Thanks for your help

Chris

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Correct, the iDRAC adds the platform update feature.

Please try these files and let me know what the outcome is.

ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00180061M/1/BIOS_NGVY8_WN32_1.9.0.EXE

ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00123548M/2/R510_BIOS_NGVY8_WN32_1.9.0.EXE

Thanks

Daniel Covey

Jump to solution

the File PER510-010900C.exe is the DOS based bios file, thats why that didnt work.

0 Kudos
chri55yb0y
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks Daniel, that has worked, will this same file work on the R410 as I have the same issue on that server also?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Chris, the file you want is here at the link below. I think what gave you problems before was that you probably clicked "Download File" and it defaults to the DOS based file. I have submitted a ticket to get this changed.
www.dell.com/.../19

if  you go to the above link, expand the bios section, then click the "Dell-Bios", Server BIOS 11G, or More download formats, you will see the complete list of BIOS file types that can be downloaded.

chri55yb0y
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help with this

0 Kudos
TedLarsen
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Please excuse me for crashing this thread with my own issues, but it seems related to the issue I'm having.  I was able to locate the same windows BIOS update files posted here, however when I attempt to run them from my Windows Server 2008 R2 installation, it *appears* to work (runs through it's process, then says a reboot is required).  After rebooting however, the BIOS version does not get updated (I'm stuck on 1.3.6).  I Tried this several times, and one time I noticed a quick flash on the screen right after reboot about "Update failed" but then machine reboots and I see the 1.3.6 BIOS loading.

Is there something that could prevent these windows-based BIOS updates from installing correctly?

THanks for any additional assistance you can provide on this.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

if you are getting that far in the process, and its failing in the reboot, it usually not an OS problem. from what you are decscribing, the payload has been written to ram and is ready to be deployed on the reboot, so thats odd. if you are game to try this, shut the system down gracefully, remove power for 30 secs to 1 minute, reapply power, wait 1 minute, then power on the system. Let me know if this makes a difference please. I can try to replicate this on Monday if it still fails as I'm up to my eyeballs right now.

0 Kudos