Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2012 01:00

PowerEdge R510 BIOS, 1.9.0

Hi

I'm trying to install this latest BIOS update onto Windows 2008 R2 X64 but keeps failing with "not compatible with your version of Windows" etc.  I've tried the normal 08 R2 download, the plain 08 X64 download and neither will install.

Is there another version of this update somewhere that is 64bit OS compatible?

Thanks for any help

Chris

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 5th, 2012 07:00

Correct, the iDRAC adds the platform update feature.

Please try these files and let me know what the outcome is.

ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00180061M/1/BIOS_NGVY8_WN32_1.9.0.EXE

ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00123548M/2/R510_BIOS_NGVY8_WN32_1.9.0.EXE

Thanks

892 Posts

January 6th, 2012 07:00

Chris, the file you want is here at the link below. I think what gave you problems before was that you probably clicked "Download File" and it defaults to the DOS based file. I have submitted a ticket to get this changed.
www.dell.com/.../19

if  you go to the above link, expand the bios section, then click the "Dell-Bios", Server BIOS 11G, or More download formats, you will see the complete list of BIOS file types that can be downloaded.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 5th, 2012 06:00

What are the names of the files you have already tried?

Another method would be to use the USC to perform a platform update. If you have the option to use the USC, I would suggest it.

support.dell.com/.../USCUGMR.pdf

Thanks.

4 Posts

January 5th, 2012 07:00

I have tried the following file:

PER510-010900C.exe

This file is the same whether I select 2008 R2 or 2008 X64.

I've gone into USC from boot and there is no option there for Platform Update, all I have in the left hand pane are:

OS Deployment

Hardware Diagnostics

Network Settings

About

Having read through the link you supplied, it would appear that I need an optional iDRAC6 card installed to utilise this feature, is this correct?

Thanks for your help

Chris

892 Posts

January 5th, 2012 13:00

the File PER510-010900C.exe is the DOS based bios file, thats why that didnt work.

4 Posts

January 6th, 2012 02:00

Thanks Daniel, that has worked, will this same file work on the R410 as I have the same issue on that server also?

Thanks for your help

4 Posts

January 6th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for your help with this

892 Posts

February 17th, 2012 12:00

if you are getting that far in the process, and its failing in the reboot, it usually not an OS problem. from what you are decscribing, the payload has been written to ram and is ready to be deployed on the reboot, so thats odd. if you are game to try this, shut the system down gracefully, remove power for 30 secs to 1 minute, reapply power, wait 1 minute, then power on the system. Let me know if this makes a difference please. I can try to replicate this on Monday if it still fails as I'm up to my eyeballs right now.

22 Posts

Please excuse me for crashing this thread with my own issues, but it seems related to the issue I'm having.  I was able to locate the same windows BIOS update files posted here, however when I attempt to run them from my Windows Server 2008 R2 installation, it *appears* to work (runs through it's process, then says a reboot is required).  After rebooting however, the BIOS version does not get updated (I'm stuck on 1.3.6).  I Tried this several times, and one time I noticed a quick flash on the screen right after reboot about "Update failed" but then machine reboots and I see the 1.3.6 BIOS loading.

Is there something that could prevent these windows-based BIOS updates from installing correctly?

THanks for any additional assistance you can provide on this.

22 Posts

Thanks for the quick response Rey.

Yea, I'm game to trying anything.  :)  This is a newly obtained server (used) and we're working on getting everything updated on it before we put it into production.  I"ve successfully updated every other piece on the system with individual updates (IDRAC firmware, PERC firmware, etc. and those all worked fine.  It's just the base system BIOS that is left, and it's giving me hell.   

I even tried using USC to do the update, but I don't have direct access to the ftp.dell.com site from this server, so I attempted to download the OM_SUU_653_A00.iso from Dell's site, burned that to DVD and attempted to update the items using that DVD from USC.  That's failing as well, giving me an error that states "THe update packages that you selected to install failed during download or installation.  Pleas retry the operation or provide an alternative repository". 

Not sure if it's all related or what, but I'm back to trying to get this BIOS update to work within windows server 2008 R2.

For your suggestions...do you want me to try running the BIOS update, and instead of rebooting as it suggests, turn the system off (gracefully) remove power 30 secs, etc"  Or do you want me to just do this, then reboot and re-try the BIOS update?  

I've tried running the BIOS update several times from within windows all with the same result---after it attempts to reboot, I see that flash error "BIOS update failed" for a split second, then the server appears to power off completely, for about 6-10 seconds, then turns back on and the original BIOS loads. 

892 Posts

This one please: "Or do you want me to just do this, then reboot and re-try the BIOS update? "

22 Posts

February 17th, 2012 13:00

Ok, Just ran through the paces again, (after following your instructions) (even re downloaded the .exe from the FTP link above) and got the same result.  In the OS, says "BIOS image has been successfully loaded.  Please reboot the machine to install the update."  Reboot the system, and it briefly says "Bios Update has failed."  system reboots, and old BIOS loads.  

I have an R510, (the 12-bay version) running Server 2008 R2 with all the latest updates.  Currently running BIOS 1.3.6.  

892 Posts

February 20th, 2012 07:00

I agree with the sysbrd replacement, and I suggest that they replace the drac as well. However, please try this for me. from a dos prompt in windows, run the bios update by hand like this filename.exe /wipeclean.  The wipeclean will reset the bios nvram, and this is something that even moving the jumpers does not do. Assuming that fails, I would replace the parts. Ideally I would like to capture your parts to have them looked at if the wipeclean doesnt work. if you do end up replacing the parts, please ask the tech to capture them to me. He can send me a private message assuming he doesnt know who I am already.

22 Posts

February 20th, 2012 07:00

Hello Rey,

I wanted to update you on the status of my system after working on this over the weekend.    

I was able to identify the cause of the issues I was seeing in USC preventing me from doing any updates using the Configurator. (I had only downloaded one of the 4 .iso files available on the downloads page).  After downloading all 4 .iso's, and combining them into one using the included instructions, I was then able to see all the available updates in USC, and attempt to upgrade using the DVD.

I attempted to *only* upgrade the BIOS from version 1.3.6 to the 1.8.3 version that was included in the latest OM_SUU package.   It *appeared* initially to work; the BIOS said it was updating, and then USC attempted to reboot the system.   After reboot however, the BIOS loaded, but the Revision number was missing on the boot screen.  (It simply says BIOS REVISION, and nothing after that.)    Now I have a bigger issue however, because any subsequent attempts to go back into USC fails, and the USC loader locks up at (Loading Configuator) screen.  I let it sit there for 3 hours and nothing.  I have to finally go into the iDRAC settings and cancel out the USC session in order to continue booting to the OS.

I have since tried the following things:

In windows I attempted to upgrade using the Dell Windows BIOS Upgrade file (.exe) to go to version 1.9.    As my previous experience showed, the payload looked like it loaded correctly, and instructed to reboot.  After reboot, it did not throw the "BIOS Update failed" message as before, and it said "attempting to upgrade BIOS" and sat there for about 45 seconds, then rebooted again.   But the BIOS REVISION stayed missing.  

I have downloaded the iDRAC LifeCycle Control Repair Package.iso, and loaded it via the iDRAC Web Interface.  This appeared to load successfully (according to the Web interface) however trying to load USC again still fails (locks up).

I have attempted to rever back the iDRAC firmware from the latest version (1.8) that I upgraded to last week, to a lower version, however this is also does not work (I tried 3 different versions from the download page).  Downgrading "fails" through the web interface.  

I attempted to "Clear out" the BIOS by using the jumpers on the motherboard following Dell's instructions.  This appeared to work fine, as the BIOS settings where cleared (I then put the jumper back to its original setting) and tried going into USC with no luck (And it still does not show a BIOS revision upon boot.)

I am starting to suspect that the system BIOS upgrade that I tried via USC indeed did NOT work, and I’m still running on version 1.3.6 (although I have no way to confirm this) and that the update *partially* worked, but failed after a point; which is why the Bios REVISION shows nothing.   I'm guessing that it did not erase the original BIOS from the chip before it failed, which is why it's still Booting correctly.     This behavior would coincide with the behavior I was seeing with the Windows-based BIOS update failing;    something is wrong with this BIOS chip, and it won't allow any rights to it (or something).

At this point, I'm not sure what other steps I can take; I’m thinking that there is something wrong with this BIOS chip (Unless I’m missing something obvious).   The server is under warranty, and my next step may be to call support and request a replacement motherboard, but I wanted to ask the forum one more time to see if I’m missing anything obvious to try.    I'm not very confident using this server with the BIOS in the state that it's currently in.

892 Posts

February 20th, 2012 08:00

sending private message.

No Events found!