Highlighted
Shimeedu
1 Copper

PowerEdge R530 and Windows Server 2008 EMB R2 Service Pack 1

Dear All,

I have purchased a Dell Poweredge R530 and they sent me the system with an English version Windows Server 2008 EMB R2 SP1. I have not been able to install the EMB version on the server but DELL is adamant that the OS is compatible with the server. I highly doubt that as every time I install the RAID drivers (which are not included in the OS) I get a bluescreen. Once I install Standard Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 it works without loading the drivers before OS installation.

DELL (China) refuses to give me a refund and says they did nothing wrong with the sale and all products are compatible.

Please let me know if anybody can confirm my doubts on incompatibility.

Thank you in advance for a prompt reply.

Kind regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: PowerEdge R530 and Windows Server 2008 EMB R2 Service Pack 1

Hello Simon

If normal 2008R2 SP1 works then it is not a compatibility issue. The embedded version is just a custom image of the OS. The embedded version is functionally identical to the regular version of the OS.

The main difference with an embedded version will be the driver list and manufacturer labeling.

I highly doubt that as every time I install the RAID drivers (which are not included in the OS) I get a bluescreen.

The RAID controller drivers should be present in the system. There is likely another device attached to the system that it doesn't have a driver for. I don't have a list of the driver differences between the embedded and normal version, but it is likely that we removed some drivers from the embedded version. I would suggest disconnecting/removing any devices you have added to the system. Try loading the system with just a keyboard and monitor.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos