Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2014 12:00

PowerEdge T310 - Failure to make any changes on the C drive of the system

Hello,

I have this very peculiar problem for which I haven't found a solution yet. Recently, if I try to make any changes (copy, paste, zip, open, read, write) to any files/folders/archives etc, I get a prompt telling me I don't have permissions. I'm logged in as one of the only 2 admin accounts on the system. 

I'm using the server as a web server and If I browse to the website that I set up in the web browser, it tells me 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. You do not have permissions to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

I have read all sorts of "solutions" online but none helps. If I set full permissions to a file/folder and try to edit after exiting the properties box, it reverts back to original permissions, disallowing me to make changes.

If all else fails and I need to reinstall the OS, I would but I really need to at least extract my website files off the server. I have even tried going to dropbox to try and upload the files but it tells me I need permission.

I hope someone can help me with this puzzling situation. Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

April 28th, 2014 14:00

Kevin Rajaram,

What is the OS you are using? Also, is this happening in safe mode as well? Have you tried doing a right click on the application / folder you are using and selecting RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR (OS dependent)? 

Lastly, is there any errors being reported?

Let me know.

April 28th, 2014 14:00

Hi Chris,

It is running Windows Server 2008 r2. I haven't tried safe mode due to the drives being in raid.

Regarding the right clicking and running as admin, I have tried all of that. I even used the icacls to grant permission to the admin user to specific folders. They all gave me the same permissions error.

There is no prompt to report any errors either. I did a virus scan too to see if any viruses are present but there are none since the server is behind university firewalls.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 28th, 2014 16:00

I haven't tried safe mode due to the drives being in raid.

??

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 29th, 2014 06:00

If you have IIS7 and did not play too much, you might have a useable automatic backup....

http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2008/03/24/how-to-backup-restore-iis7-configuration.aspx

"I would but I really need to at least extract my website files off the server"

Worst case before a reinstall, take ownership of the directory, then copy, but you should not have to go that far.

April 30th, 2014 08:00

Hi,

I read the article about the automatic backups but my inetpub folder doesn't contain the history folder with the supposed backups.

Regarding ownership, I did many things to do so but no luck. It still gives me the same issue.

I made a short video to show you guys what's happening. Seen here: http://youtu.be/bLg2a3e19sc

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 30th, 2014 09:00

RAID has no bearing on your ability to run Windows in Safe Mode ... many services, including third-party services, do not load in Safe Mode, and it is possible that if there is something locking/blocking your access that it won't load in Safe Mode, allowing you to access your files.  You may also try accessing the files "offline" - booting to a WinPE or Linux image.

No Events found!