Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2009 10:00

PowerEdge T310 / Windows 2003 x86 R2 / S310 Storage Driver Bug?

I'm setting up a PowerEdge T310 configured with an S300 storage controller.

The application this server was purchased for requires Windows 2003 server, 32-bit. When I attempt to install the OS, I get a BSOD:

(Server 2003 R2, 32-bit)

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP:0x0000000A (0x00000000,0x00000009,0x00000001,0x81039B20)

Server 2003 sp1 gives a different series of numbers, but also bluescreens.

My first attempts were with the Dell Setup Tools CD that came with the server, version 6.1.2, which is the latest version available for download. After repeated failures, I contacted Dell support. Support suggested that I use the F6 USB prep utility to load the storage drivers during setup instead of using the Dell CD. I did so, and receive the same error message. Support also mentioned that because the server was purchased without an OS, the install-side of things wasn't technically supported (the client has a volume-license agreement).

I used the latest storage driver available for the S310, version 1.0.0.0086, A03, and Windows was happy loading them... just prior to bluescreening. This version of the driver is a recent, "urgent" release, and I'm fairly confident that there is a bug in it that's causing this issue.

I'm fairly sure we're not looking at a hardware problem. I was able to install Server 2008 R2 x64 without issue. We need Server 2003.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Tom Stowell

9.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2009 21:00

Slipstream SP2 into the 2003 media and see if that does any better. If you're not sure how to do this, Google nLite.

2 Posts

December 4th, 2009 08:00

I forgot about that option entirely. That has a high probability of working. I won't know until Monday; I'll come back to verify. Thanks!

Tom

3 Posts

January 27th, 2010 13:00

I have the same issue here.  Has anyone been able to get it to work?  Thanks.

347 Posts

January 27th, 2010 13:00

i dont have a T310, but try this. And you wont have to reload the OS to try it. if you have an idrac6, before the OS starts loading, when prompted to do so, do a Cntrl E to enter the drac setup screen. In Virtual Media Configuration, make sure the Virtual media is set to Detached. Save changes and reboot. After the OS comes up and is configured, you can go back in and attach it again if you wish. Let us know how it goes.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2010 14:00

Contacted Dell Support.  It looks like newer hardware need to have latest service pack with the OS you are installing.  I was installing Server 2003 R2 Enterprise without SP2.  I fixed my issue by integrating SP2 with my version of Server 2003 R2.  Here is the link that I used to do this.  http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/windows-server-2003-service-pack-2-released/

3 Posts

January 27th, 2010 14:00

I don't have that option when I go into the DRAC setup screen (Cntl-E)

16 Posts

January 26th, 2012 10:00

I just purchased a new T310 and need to install "Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition" (that's exactly how the original hologrammed cd is labeled). I first install the Dell-supplied Systems Management Tools and documentation disk, version 6.5.0, which runs and then eventually asks for the operating system disk. It says that the installation disk is being copied, then restarts and gets as far as 'Starting Windows' at which point it hangs. I get no further message, but the installation does not go past that point. I have tried it at least ten times with the same result.

I also tried slipstreaming SP2 using nLite as suggested in this group, but it did not help.

My guess is that there is a driver I need, and the system hanging for lack of that driver, but if I am correct, I still have no idea what is needed.

Could someone please tell me what I need to do to install Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition? I am very frustrated, particularly since I installed this exact same software years ago on a Dell Poweredge 1600 and it worked great the first time. Thank you very much.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 27th, 2012 08:00

Is this 2003 or 2003 R2?  Only 2003 R2 is officially supported.  I wouldn't think there was a big enough difference to keep you from installing non-R2, but there are some driver differences that could affect its use on the server or its use with the SMTD utility.  Slipstreaming SP2, as you have done, would be a requirement.  You might need to use nLite to slipstream the RAID driver and install directly from the OS CD.

http://advisors.dell.com/advisorweb/iDriveMatrixView.aspx

16 Posts

January 30th, 2012 10:00

This is not R2, which is presumably the issue. I have tried slistreaming SP2 and the drivers using nLite, but I think I am missing something. After using nLite, I end up with a set of files, which I copy to a blank CD. This is not working, and I think it might be because the resulting CD is just a collection of files and not a bootable CD. What more do I have to do with the nLite'd files to make a proper installation CD? thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 31st, 2012 07:00

When using nLite, at the appropriate time for the driver, choose Multiple Driver Files, select ALL the drivers listed, then choose TextMode.  Make SURE to have nLite create a bootable ISO ... this ISO image can be burned to CD (not simply copied) using special software such as ISO Recorder, CDBurnerXP, or simply right-clicking the ISO in Windows 7 and choosing Burn Image to CD/DVD.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2019 03:00

This is ridiculous that dell like co is neglecting its customers

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 29th, 2019 07:00

??

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 29th, 2019 07:00

This thread was started 10 years ago. If you aren't trying to install Server 2003, then you are trolling. If you came to this thread NOW because you are trying to install Server 2003, then the negligence is yours for using it in the first place. If you really are trying to install it for some reason you deem legitimate, then describe the steps you have taken to try to install it (assuming you have already followed the instructions in this thread).

Use a modern OS or virtualize your 2003 if you really must use an insecure and unsupported OS.

No Events found!