Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2015 12:00

Poweredge R710 -- Server 2008 32bit to 64bit without purchasing new OS??

Is it possible to upgrade from a 32bit install of Windows Server 2008 to a 64bit version using the same product key? I'm needing to install 32GB of system RAM to support some software that is going on the server. Currently, it is maxed out at 4GB of RAM for the 32bit system. I know that in Windows 7, the 32bit key is the same as the 64bit version. Didn't know if this was the case on a server 2008 machine. Microsoft wouldn't give me an answer as it is an OEM install of the OS on a Dell Poweredge R710 in 2010. Also, is it a simple process to re-install as 64bit or will I be working on this for days? I'm new to Server installs. Thanks ahead for any and all replies.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 30th, 2015 15:00

It is just like Windows client versions in both cases:

The key will work for 32-bit or 64-bit. The only difference in architecture between OEM and Retail is that the Retail key comes with media for both architectures, OEM comes with media for one or the other.

There is no "simple" process to "upgrade" ... it will require a clean install of Windows and a reinstall of all your software/data.

No Events found!