Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2013 15:00

Poweredge R720 Imaging problem

Hi guys,

We have a Poweredge R720 that I am trying to use imaging software to restore a server that needs to be upgraded from a Poweredge 2950. I have tried Acronis, Paragon HDM 12 and Todo Easus and every one of them do not detect the Hard drives. I setup the virtual disk with a RAID 5. Any suggestions? or is the server too new to be recognized by this imaging software?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 20:00

Hopefully nodevice.com is trustworthy.  I am generally untrusting of driver utilities and sites whose drivers are often "value"-added versions.  Use this one directly from Dell:

http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00460008M/1/SAS-RAID_Driver_X33F8_WN32_5.1.118.32_A01.EXE

Otherwise, how can you account for the fact that nodriver's download is nearly 3 times bigger than Dell's?

9.3K Posts

March 17th, 2013 15:00

The problem is most likely that the boot image/disk from Acronis, Paragon and/or Easus do not have the driver integrated for the newer PERC controller in your new R720.

I'd suggest to identify which PERC adapter your R720 has (probably an H310 or H710), then talk to Acronis/Paragon/Easus and ask them if they have a version with support for that raid controller in their boot image/CD.

Do note that even when you do have a bootable image/CD with support for the newer raid controller, when you restore the image it's possible that your server will be unbootable as the backup/source image doesn't include the newer PERC drivers that support the new controller. This is the result of restoring to dissimilar hardware. Some backup applications may have support for restoring to dissimilar hardware and can insert a driver for the new storage adapter during the restore process. You'd want to check with the software vendor if they offer/support this feature.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi Dev Mgr,

Appreciate the response. I do have a ticket open with Paragon at the moment and am waiting on their response. We have a H710 PERC adapter.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2013 03:00

Hi,

After hours...I found a driver that works with Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 and the H310 on my T320.

If found it on nodevice.com

http://www.nodevice.com/driver/poweredge-t320/get93126.html

After the captcha, this is the file you need

DRVR_WIN_X33F8_5.1.118.32_A01_ZPE.zip

3 Posts

March 25th, 2013 07:00

Thanks guys for all the responses, I opened a case with Dell and the technician got me the right driver to load into my WINPE recovery environment and now I can see the hard drives. Turns out it is a H710 Mini Perc controller.

No Events found!