Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2012 15:00

Server 2008 install on Poweredge 1800 Question

We just bought a Poweredge 1800 and it had no SCSI Drives in it, so we hooked up an 80gig SATA Drive to the onboard port. When we boot up the system it detects the SATA Drive just fine. We want to install Windows Server 2008 x64, but when we start installing it gets to where you would normally format a hard drive, nothing shows up in the drives list. Wew contacted Dell and they stated that Server 2008 can't be installed onto this server without a cerc sata 6 channel raid controller, but we have read many posts of people installing this operating system.

We want to know if installing Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 can be accomplished with this server on the onboard SATA Drive without a cerc sata 6 channel raid controller and if so, can you please tell us how to make this happen or send a link for instrcution.

Thank You in advance.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 28th, 2012 19:00

There is a linux package that you could probably run from a "live" linux distro, including OMSA Live ... if you are familiar with linux.

If not, then you could do one of two things:

1) Install Server 2003 just to update the BIOS ... might end up being faster and easier.

2) Use SBUU and SUU to update the system firmware:

SBUU (Systems Build and Update Utility - you will boot to this utility first):
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=NF1CT&FileId=2731102793&productCode=poweredge-1800&urlProductCode=False

SUU (Server Update Utility - you will insert this DVD when SBUU asks for a repository):
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=NHNF2&FileId=2731103763&productCode=poweredge-1800&urlProductCode=False

Pay particular attention to the Installation Instructions on the download page of each of the DVD ISO's for SUU or it will NOT work.

"After that [updating BIOS], is it possible to load server 08 r2 on this server with SATA drives on the SATA onboard ports?"

Did you read my first post and the document I provided?  Server 2008 will NOT work with your onboard SATA ports when RAID is enabled (this is called the CERC SATA 2S RAID controller).  It will not work.  It is incompatible.  Your ONLY option is to be able to turn off RAID in the BIOS and use the onboard SATA ports in ATA mode (non-RAID), which apparently was added to the BIOS at some point.  The document I gave you was dated 2008 - AFTER A07 was released, so it could have been added to any of the versions, but it probably was in version A01 or A02 where there was extensive code modification for the onboard SATA functionality. 

So, to answer your question simply ... yes.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 28th, 2012 15:00

The onboard SATA ports can run in RAID mode (CERC SATA 2S) or in non-RAID mode.  You CANNOT install a 2008-family OS on a CERC SATA 2S - you MUST install in non-RAID mode.

support.dell.com/.../cerc.pdf

You may need to update the BIOS to get the correct options.

June 28th, 2012 16:00

Can you tell us how we can install server 2008 r2 on our sata drive that is plugged into the onboard sata port. Our options in the bios for sata are off or raid, thats it and our Bios Version is A00. If we need to update our bios, can you tell us how to do that?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 28th, 2012 16:00

Floppy is the fastest and easiest way to update the BIOS without an OS ... A07 is the latest:

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

June 28th, 2012 18:00

We do not have a floppy drive on this server. How can we update the bios through USB or cd? Where is a bootable bios update located? After that, is it possible to load server 08 r2 on this server with SATA drives on the SATA onboard ports?

June 28th, 2012 20:00

theflash1932

Do you know if i could update the Bios with this file and be able to use ATA? www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

Dell CD ISO - PowerEdge Updates

Release Date:

7/18/2007

June 28th, 2012 20:00

Very thankful for you taking the time to answer my question. I did read your responses but I think I got confused on what to do. I have your instructions now and will follow them to the T. Is it possible to just install Windows 7 on it, then update the bios and go from that point on or is that not possible? Again your help is so very much appreciated. There isnt a lot of documentation on this and Dell just insists that it cannot be done.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 28th, 2012 21:00

After you download the "huge files" (I know they're large, but they are the EASIEST method outside of updating via floppy or from the OS), you will boot to the SBUU disk, then choose Update Firmware.  It will ask you for a repository for where the updates are located - you will make sure that the optical drive option is checked, then insert the SUU disk ... it will detect current versions, show you the new versions ... you just hit OK to do the update.  It may take SEVERAL minutes to update.

The only other thing you need to know is about building the SUU DVD.  Instructions are located under Installation Instructions on the download page for each of the ISO files for SUU.  SUU is made up of three DVD ISO's that must be joined together once they are all downloaded using the "copy /b" command in the Windows Command Prompt.  The final SUU ISO was originally broken up to address the 2GB file download limit of some browsers.

Ok I am currently in the process of downloading these huge files. I have been working on computers for 18 years, so I think I can get this thing updated and running. The only issue I had was the SATA Ports. I have never worked on a real server before so I was kind of lost... You have helped tremndously and I really appreciate it. After I download these and burn them to a disk, I just boot up to the first disk and the rest goes from that point on correct? Do I need to know any commands or is it all windows based point and click?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

That ISO is just the older version of the SUU ISO I gave you the link for.  SUU/PEU is not bootable; it must be run from a supported OS or in conjuction with SBUU.

"Is it possible to just install Windows 7 on it, then update the bios and go from that point on or is that not possible?"

Not possible ... Windows 7 uses the same kernel as 2008 R2 (or to be more precise, 2008 R2 uses the same kernel as Windows 7), so if it is not compatible with 2008 or 2008 R2, then it is also not compatible with Vista or Windows 7.

"Again your help is so very much appreciated. There isnt a lot of documentation on this and Dell just insists that it cannot be done."

That document I gave you should be all the documentation you need, providing you have the required level of technical expertise to implement it (firmware updates, systems management software, OS installation, etc.).  If you talk to Dell again, give them the document I sent you ... that will refute what they previously told you.

June 28th, 2012 22:00

You have been so helpful, we can't thank you enough. We will update you on our progress and of course if we need any further help. Just pray it all goes well. We are going to try and update it after we get home tonight. Thanks again as we would have never figured any of this out without your help.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 28th, 2012 22:00

No problem ... let me know how it goes.  Good luck!

June 29th, 2012 15:00

theflash1932..... Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You......

Thanks to you, I know have Windows Server 2008 R2 up and running.... 2 SATA Drives running inside on Bios V.A07

Just wanted to let you know that your links were the key for sure and no I am up and running on a very fast PowerEdge... Thank You again...

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 29th, 2012 21:00

Glad I could help :)

August 27th, 2012 20:00

I just recently acquired a Dell PowerEdge 1850 Rack Server. I was wanting to use this server at work, not in a rack just a stand alone server. I have scoured the internet but there isnt anything specific on whether or not it has SATA Ports on the mother board or not. If it does can I use those for Sata Drives instead of SCSI Drives. I recently accomplished this on a PowerEdge 1800 and it works great. I am running 2 Sata Drives and no SCSi Drives. I basically want to do the same thing but dont know if its possible. Can anyone help me with this topic?

Thank You so much in advance.

No Events found!