Highlighted
Roveer
1 Nickel

T320 running SBS 2011. What Systems Management Software should I install?

I'm going to start by saying I'm a bit miffed by the "Systems Management" area in the downloads section for my T320 in the support section of the website.  It lists 42 different files.  I'm lost...

I've got fresh T320 with SBS 2011 fully patched and running clean.  I now want to add what ever Dell management and diagnostic software that I should be using.

I was unable to install OS with the lifecycle controller because SBS 2011 is no longer listed.  Was that a probelm?  Did I do something wrong?  Instead I installed from MS Media and individually installed all necessary drivers.

I now want to install whatever else is necessary in order to monitor my server, Specifically monitor my 2 raid arrays and notify me if there are failures/errors.

I need some hand holding here.  The file names in that list of 43 is daunting.  I am not used to all the Dell nomenclature but can usually follow along.

Can someone please give me some guidance on what I should install from that huge list.  So many things sound alike and repeat themselves I don't know what to install.

Tried a few times during my test builds and run into lots of problems.  I think some well described guidance is all I need.  Thanks for your help.

Roveer

0 Kudos
3 Replies
theflash1932
6 Indium

RE: T320 running SBS 2011. What Systems Management Software should I install?

0 Kudos
Roveer
1 Nickel

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  After I made my initial post I went on a hunt, this time taking more time to read what each of those files was about.  I also read about how to manage your system and came to the same result that you provided.  In my case since I'm using SBS 2011 which is based on Windows Server 2008 R2 which is a 64 bit OS, I used the OpenManager Server Administrator (Managed Node) 64 bit version.

After installing, I also installed the Dell iDRAC Service Module so I could link the server into the iDrac controller.

I'm now moving on to setting up the alerts and doing some hardware fail testing.

Is there anything else I should be looking at installing?

Thanks for the replies.

Roveer

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Sounds like you have the basics covered.

Many of the downloads in the Systems Management folders wouldn't be used in the same environment. There are several options for third-party management and integration.

I know 2011 is based on 2008 R2. I don't know if there has been changes to the 64-bit version of OMSA, but I believe originally it had limited functionality compared to the 32-bit version. 32-bit will install just fine on a 64-bit OS and has historically been the recommendation. The 64-bit version was designed for systems not running WoW.

0 Kudos