Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2016 10:00

T330 Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Install USB 3.0 Incompatibility

The T330 has no native USB 2.0 support.  Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 installation media  has no native USB 3.0 support. So on OS installation the mouse and keyboard will not work.   I tried injecting the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 2008 server ISO (see: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN300618/en ).   Injection into the ISO works fine and it solves the problem of no keyboard or mouse in starting the OS installation

BUT once the base OS is installed and you come to the first post install  screen (when it is now booting from the hard drive ) to change password and continue setup, the keyboard and mouse are again in-operable.    My best guess is that the USB 3.0 drivers did not get installed to the hard drive.  I tried starting over and reinstalling the OS but same result.  The ISO creation per above KB post was clean and successful.  No errors.

I saw another Dell 'Faq' recommending disabling the USB 3.0 is system BIOS.  On this model - brand new T330 - with current, up-to-date BIOS,  there is no such BIOS setting/option.

Looking for a solution.   Had an older USB 2.0 PCI card, but the machine has no PCI slots.  Thinking of trying a USB 2.0 PCIE card.  

What is bewildering is  Dell sells the T330 with NO USB 2.0 compatibility - rendering installation of W2008R2 SP1 difficult and possibly  impossible.  NOTE: this OS is a Dell supported OS for the T330   I would not have purchased if  it was not  supposedly supported (I am restoring  a DC with this OS because of a failed  motherboard on a PE server).

10 Posts

April 10th, 2016 14:00

Solved: Bought a PCIE USB 2.0 card. It works.  Model is Sonnet Allegro USB PCIe (2.0).

If i had known, i would have just bought the thing and skipped the whole driver injection exercise.  

July 20th, 2016 15:00

Funnily enough... I've hit the same problem with the T130...

I've tried the "Windows Server 2008 R2 Driver Slipstreaming Utility" but I haven't tried the "Method 2" yet - but I've found a card for £10 on Amazon... (The one you mentioned was £50 odd...)

Going to try Method 2 whilst I wait for the card to arrive - but that is a real pain that the articles don't address that point.

The other option I was going to try is basically upgrading the iDRAC to IDRAC Enterprise, but I'm waiting to hear back how much that costs.

Ugh!

Regards

Jules

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 20th, 2016 15:00

1 Message

August 2nd, 2016 12:00

Did you have to install the drivers for the pci card on you T330 for it to work?

4 Posts

August 5th, 2016 08:00

Download Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Windows Server 2008 R2 from Dell support website for your server. Extract the zip file and copy the 8 driver files in the following directory to a flash drive.

\Intel_C230_USB3.0_MDNM0_A00_1spark\Intel_C230_USB3.0_MDNM0_A00\Intel_USB_3.0_xHC_Driver_Skylake_PV_4.0.0.36\Drivers\Win7\x64

Just before installing OS use load driver option and browse to the flash drive and load the 2 usb 3.0 drivers from the flash drive. Then after OS installation USB 3.0 will be working.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 26th, 2016 10:00

MIRSWASIF could you please make some printscreens as i cannot imagine how and were i should use option load driver before installing windows  ?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 26th, 2016 11:00

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 26th, 2016 12:00

THEFLASH1932 it is not possible as server freezes when screen of choosing language appears , and it freezes becasue R330 or T130 do not have built in usb 2.0 chipset only 3.0 and windows server 2008 do not support usb 3.0 thats why server freezes when  option for choosing lanugage and you cannot do nothing you cannot move to the point you load driver

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 26th, 2016 14:00

There are two places it may error out. Try this:

http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/19/SLN300618

4 Posts

August 27th, 2016 07:00

Look at the first post and prepare Server 2008 R2 installation media with USB 3.0 drivers incorporated.into the installation media. Second download and extract USB 3.0, Raid card, and NVME drivers into separate folders and add these folders to the flash drive. Once the USB 3.0 drivers are added to the installation media you will be able to use mouse and keyboard during the installation. If you want to install on GPT drive using flash drive first make sure you prepare it  make sure you prepare it using following commands.

diskpart
list disk
select disk
clean
convert gpt
create partition primary
select partition 1
format quick fs=fat32
assign
list volume
copy previously prepared Server 2008 R2 SP1 installation files to usb flash drive

Copy everything from the following folder

\efi\microsoft\boot

to

\efi\boot

also add

bootx64.efi

to

\efi\boot

Once you are at the windows with drive options for OS installation, Use load drivers and import USB 3.0, Raid and NVME card drivers before starting windows installation.

9.3K Posts

August 27th, 2016 09:00

Have you tried using the LifeCycle Controller (F10 during POST)?

It has an option to install an operating system and will inject the necessary drivers during this install. You still need the Windows DVD or ISO (ISO can be used it you upgraded to the DRAC Enterprise which gives you a remote console option with the ability to mount an ISO file and let the server boot from it), but the LCC should be able to get past this non-functional USB issue during the install.

1 Message

December 28th, 2016 12:00

Thank you for your post. I'm trying to find that card online but I only see a USB 3.0 card when I run a search. can you please verify whether it's a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 card? if it's a USB 3.0 card with backwards compatibility to USB 2.0 then I hope the OS has built-in driver support

Thanks!

Avi

4 Posts

December 28th, 2016 13:00

Download RUFUS or Windows USB/DVD Download Tool from the following website and create a usb flash drive using either a Server 2008 R2 DVD or iso

www.microsoft.com/.../windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Add USB 3.0 drivers into the flash drive using following utility.

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

December 28th, 2016 14:00

Honestly, for the sake of time costing you money (unless your time is free) getting the USB 2 to work on Server 2008 R2 is a total ache.

Buy the Startech USB 2 card as a matter of course if you are going to run Server 2008 R2... As also remember, if you need to DR / restore the server from a backup, you need to remember that you are going to have to keep that bootable disk *safe*.

It's just not worth messing around. I tried and tried and tried, and even following the Dell information, it just didn't work.

IMHO / IME

Jules

2 Posts

January 10th, 2017 10:00

Am I totally wrong? But is one of the USB port on the front USB 2.0 on a R330?

Joakim

No Events found!