mirswasif
Nickel

RE: T330 Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Install USB 3.0 Incompatibility

Jump to solution

Look at the first post and prepare Server 2008 R2 installation media with USB 3.0 drivers incorporated.into the installation media. Second download and extract USB 3.0, Raid card, and NVME drivers into separate folders and add these folders to the flash drive. Once the USB 3.0 drivers are added to the installation media you will be able to use mouse and keyboard during the installation. If you want to install on GPT drive using flash drive first make sure you prepare it  make sure you prepare it using following commands.

diskpart
list disk
select disk
clean
convert gpt
create partition primary
select partition 1
format quick fs=fat32
assign
list volume
copy previously prepared Server 2008 R2 SP1 installation files to usb flash drive

Copy everything from the following folder

\efi\microsoft\boot

to

\efi\boot

also add

bootx64.efi

to

\efi\boot

Once you are at the windows with drive options for OS installation, Use load drivers and import USB 3.0, Raid and NVME card drivers before starting windows installation.

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
Gallium

Jump to solution

Have you tried using the LifeCycle Controller (F10 during POST)?

It has an option to install an operating system and will inject the necessary drivers during this install. You still need the Windows DVD or ISO (ISO can be used it you upgraded to the DRAC Enterprise which gives you a remote console option with the ability to mount an ISO file and let the server boot from it), but the LCC should be able to get past this non-functional USB issue during the install.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
avlevy2k
Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for your post. I'm trying to find that card online but I only see a USB 3.0 card when I run a search. can you please verify whether it's a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 card? if it's a USB 3.0 card with backwards compatibility to USB 2.0 then I hope the OS has built-in driver support

Thanks!

Avi

0 Kudos
mirswasif
Nickel

Jump to solution

Download RUFUS or Windows USB/DVD Download Tool from the following website and create a usb flash drive using either a Server 2008 R2 DVD or iso

www.microsoft.com/.../windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Add USB 3.0 drivers into the flash drive using following utility.

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

0 Kudos
Jules Wilko
Phosphor

Jump to solution

Honestly, for the sake of time costing you money (unless your time is free) getting the USB 2 to work on Server 2008 R2 is a total ache.

Buy the Startech USB 2 card as a matter of course if you are going to run Server 2008 R2... As also remember, if you need to DR / restore the server from a backup, you need to remember that you are going to have to keep that bootable disk *safe*.

It's just not worth messing around. I tried and tried and tried, and even following the Dell information, it just didn't work.

IMHO / IME

Jules

0 Kudos
jkrassman
Copper

Jump to solution

Am I totally wrong? But is one of the USB port on the front USB 2.0 on a R330?

Joakim

0 Kudos
Cheemtara
Copper

RE: T330 Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Install USB 3.0 Incompat

Jump to solution

Kindly tell me your installation issue have resolve and how. i am face same issue when i am going to install windows server 2008 R2 and i am stuck. i need guidance and your guidance would be highly appreciated for me because of same issue. your urgent response would be highly appreciated. Regards, Cheem

0 Kudos
Cheemtara
Copper

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
fthomasr
Copper

Jump to solution

I have fought with this for a week. I have injected and built countless ISOs and while keyboard/mouse works through setup after injecting, it's no longer there after booting from the hard drive at the change the password initial 08 r2 screen. Dell gave me an ISO and same thing. I ordered a PCIe USB card, the only one available, startech but I'm worried it won't work as they do not make Windows 7 drivers for it. Reviewers on Amazon have complained that it won't work on Windows 7...

0 Kudos