Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2009 19:00

Unable to detect my harddrive while installing XP in PowerEdge 850

Hi Sir,

I am having a problem installing XP/Server 2003 on my PowerEdge 850. I was able to configure Raid setup and initialize the disk but on the process on installing OS it was saying that harddrives are not detected and press F3 to restart the system. Also it was mentioning regarding the software that might come with the computer to use that software to correct the problem. Do i need to download and use the SATA driver on the website and press F6 to install raid controllers for this one? Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

1.2K Posts

March 26th, 2009 05:00

put the systems service and diagnostic tool cd (part of the cd pack that came with the server) in a desktop. It should autorun, if not run the setup.exe on the cd.

Select your server model from the menu and OS, it jumps to a page containing the drivers for that system. Select your raid card and the drivers will unpack to a directory on the desktop. Also run the F6 prep utility, this allows you to load drivers from a usb stick once you've pressed F6.

The preferred method is to run the systems update and build utility cd and follow the prompts and it wil create an unattended txt setup file and copy the required drivers ready for the os install.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2010 05:00

I am having this same problem. Trying to use the 6.2 system update and build util -- with the required server pack. I have both ISOs burned. (I'm planning to do win 2008 R2 x64 Enterprise) I get through the process ok but after reboot it says my raid set has degraded and doesn't go any further -- unable to find boot. I have tried to reset/rebuild the raid set using the bios util with no change in the process. Should I try the diagnostics method you mentioned above?

On a side note I recall seeing message that there isn't a virtual disk created. I know this is related to the Raid config, but couldn't figure out how to set, and assuming I need to go through the diag process, but wanted to be sure. I bought this 850 used. How do I discover the RAID card type so that I know which driver to choose in DIAG? or will it tell me?

Thanks much.

-Steve

2 Posts

February 16th, 2010 06:00

update: when I tried to use the system update and build util's hardware script to create/configure a new virtual disk on the RAID it wouldn't do anything.

-Steve

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 16th, 2010 08:00

As far as which controller you have ... what did you press to get into the BIOS utility?  It should also tell you on the screen during POST which controller it is when it gives you the CRTL command to enter its utility.

The easiest way to install 2008 R2, is to simply boot to the Windows DVD and install directly from it.  If it doesn't see any hard drives (you must configure the RAID in CTRL-A/M first), then you can just click on Load Driver at that point and load if from a USB key.  The only reason you should try and force SBUU to work is if you must have the Utility Partition for some reason (Diagnostics can be run from CD/USB in place of the Utility Partition).

As for XP/2003 ... I'm not sure if I understood the problem correctly ... you cannot use XP with the installation utility for servers, as XP is not supported on any PowerEdge server.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 16th, 2010 08:00

Also ... if SBUU is not creating a RAID array, create it in the BIOS utility then skip RAID in SBUU.

No Events found!