Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2010 23:00

Upgrading W2K3 32bit to 64bit

Greetings!

I surely hope someone out there can show me where I'm wrong!!

I have a Dell PE2850, currently setup w/W2K3 Server, 32bit. It has the PERC 4e/DC RAID controller which has 1 virtual disk w/2 partitions on it.  The "C" drive where W2K3 32bit is installed is 30GB.

Everytime I boot w/the W2K3 64bit CD, it gets as far as 'Loading Windows' in the textmode part of setup then restarts before finishing. No error msg, just a restart.

I tried using the F6 key w/a USB drive as a 'floppy' to install the drivers for the RAID but setup tells me there's no floppy drive installed (set as floppy in BIOS).

I even tried adding the RAID drivers to the install CD (something I do all the time for other installs) but end up w/the same results--restarts w/o finishing the textmode part of setup.

When I use the Dell build DVD, it wants to erase the ENTIRE virtual disk, won't let me erase just the 30GB O/S partition.

How can I install W2K3 64bit w/o wiping my entire virtual disk?

Any thoughts, suggestions, anything??? Please!?!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 18th, 2010 08:00

The "Dell build DVD" will not give you the option to do other than a full, clean install.  If you are trying to preserve existing data, you will have to install from the Windows disk.  Windows 2003/XP and earlier will ONLY recognize a floppy.  If you do not have a floppy drive and want to use a USB key, you can, but you have to use a special utility to prepare the USB key with the drivers.  Follow the directions exactly (if you get an error formatting the USB key, delete the Volume Label.)

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=08&l=en&s=bsdr&releaseid=R237984&SystemID=PWE_2950&servicetag=&os=WNET&osl=en&deviceid=13724&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=7&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=342467

Alternatively, call Dell and ask for the Mass Storage CD utility - you will boot to this CD, which will load the drivers, then boot from there to the Windows CD.  You can also use nLiteOS.com to integrate the driver into the installation files to create a new OS CD.

The Mass Storage CD is not available on the support site and I don't have it with me right now.  I can give you a link to it this afternoon if you haven't got it from Dell yet.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 19th, 2010 21:00

Instructions: http://prowiki.isc.upenn.edu/wiki/Adding_Drivers_to_the_Windows_Server_2003_Installation

File: http://63.228.240.4/Dell/GenerateDriverDiskISOv12.zip

8 Posts

January 20th, 2010 21:00

Thank you very much! I was trying to find that USB utility but couldn't find it anywhere. I'll check this all out.

8 Posts

January 20th, 2010 21:00

Instructions: http://prowiki.isc.upenn.edu/wiki/Adding_Drivers_to_the_Windows_Server_2003_Installation

File: http://63.228.240.4/Dell/GenerateDriverDiskISOv12.zip

Thank you! I tried adding drivers using nLite but it doesn't seem like it's working. I'll try this method.

8 Posts

January 21st, 2010 15:00

Just wanted to let you-all know that your suggestion worked like a champ! I got the system booted and started the install process.

But there's a catch. When the system build DVD gets to the point where it asks for the OS CD, when I put the OS CD in, it just spits it back out. At first I thought it was problem w/the CD so I remade it. Still a problem. Tried it w/both Standard & Enterprise 64bit W2K3 server R2. Even tried the 32bit CDs w/the same result.

Is it looking for a CD named a certain way?

Thanks for your help!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 21st, 2010 16:00

A couple of possibilities:  1)  You are using Volume License media (not MSDN) - sometimes the disc is unrecognizable to SBUU - something to do with the way MS formats it.  2)  The media does not match the OS you chose to install - 2003 is not the same as 2003 SBS, for example.  3)  You are attempting to install a non-SP2 version of Server 2003 - it must have SP2 to work with SBUU.

8 Posts

January 24th, 2010 14:00

Your #1 is probably the culprit. I'm using a Volume License media. I downloaded the ISO version from MS Licensing. Do you think it would make a difference if I downloaded the exe version, expanded it and burned it to a CD? Does SBUU look for a particular name on the CD?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 24th, 2010 15:00

I'm not sure if that would make a difference - if the EXE is assembling the same format of disk image, then it will probably be the same. 

I don't think SBUU looks for a specific name, but I think it looks for specific files or versions of files that it will need to use for the install, and if they don't match what it needs, then it spits it out.

8 Posts

January 28th, 2010 15:00

How can I find out what SBUU is looking for? Dell Support?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 28th, 2010 22:00

Your best bet would be the OMSA group at Dell ... they support the Openmanage applications, but I don't know if they will know the software that intimately.

347 Posts

January 29th, 2010 07:00

This should be working fine, I've used the VL media many times with SBUU, but I havnt tried it with OM 6.2 version of SBUU. Which VL iso did you dnload? I'll see if i can grab the same one and try it with the latest SBUU.

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 19:00

Thanks! I appreciate you testing this. Here's the name of the iso I downloaded:

SW_CD_Windows_Svr_Ent_2003_R2_32-BIT_X64_English_ISO_x64_1_MLF_X13-73731.ISO

When you burn it, it has the volume name of: CRMEXVOL_EN

347 Posts

February 4th, 2010 15:00

well, bad news, the iso I have access to is on MSDN, and I was able to dnload that and install it using OM 6.2 disc. I'm trying to see if I can get hold of the iso you named on your posting, but it may not be possible for me.
This is the iso I was able to grab from msdn: en_win_srv_2003_r2_enterprise_x64_with_sp2_vl_cd1_x13-48614.iso

So a couple of other questions in the meantime: Does this OS disc work ok if you boot to it directly? It should, w2k3 r2 has native support for the perc 4 series. As was previously posted, MS had issues with how the iso was created.

Which software are you using to burn the iso?

Most importantly, do  you get to the part of the windows setup (when booting to windows disc) where it says (in text mode) welcome to windows setup >to setup windows now press enter >repair windows installation press R>to quit setup press ESC?

347 Posts

February 5th, 2010 14:00

I dont suppose you have a DRAC 5 card in the system do you?

8 Posts

February 9th, 2010 18:00

No, no DRAC 5 card. Yes, the CD will boot and start the install process however it didn't find the perc 4 drivers. You say that's built into the W2K3 install disk? Strange that it couldn't find it on mine. The only thing unusual I did was to burn the iso on a Mac. I've done that for WinXP CDs w/o problem but maybe... I'll try re-burning the CD on a PC using Nero v7.

No Events found!