Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2013 04:00

What is DELL OS install conception?

Hi,

I came from an IBM world where I already know server conceptions, OS install rituals, I am new in DELL servers.

Please let me know what is the conecptional idea at DELL for installing OS on servers? Do we have preinstallation kits, Windows deployment tools, what are the names of these packages and what are the latest versions of these packages?

At IBM we have UpdateXpress package for fimrware and driver upgrades, is it called "OpenManage Server Update Utility" here?
At IBM we used ServerGuide package to deploy Windows Server OS, what do we use for deploymet here at DELL?

I have a PowerEdge T310 server and I'd like to install Windows 2008 R2 on it, as DELL imagined it. Where should I start? Is there a step by step guide to download deployment tools and install OS?

I am a bit confused, what are these DELL packages:
"Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation"
"Dell Windows OS install support pack"
"Dell Systems Build and Update Utility"
"OpenManage Server Update Utility"

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 5th, 2013 08:00

SMTD/SBUU and SUU are "pretty" universal.  The latest versions (7.2 is the latest) will pretty much work on any server model since 2006 (9th generation through 12).  The downloads are quite large, and this is why.  6.5 should work ok, but 7.2 will have the latest drivers for your devices.

For what it's worth, I seldom use the installation utility and install directly from the OS media.

Hint:  Never use Dell's "search" ... it's pretty useless.

Easiest way to find your downloads is to go to support.dell.com, Drivers and Downloads, and choose your server model (entering your Service Tag is supposed to return download specific to your ordered configuration, but it is pretty hit/miss right now, as the Support site is undergoing some upgrades/repairs).  (SMTD is under Secure Systems Management.)

Also, I didn't mention OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator) ... this is the application installed in the OS to monitor and manage the hardware and is recommended on every install, where possible.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

"Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation (SMTD)"

This is the all-encompassing DVD, containing SBUU, OMSA, diagnostics, etc. ... AND the contents of the "OS Install Support Pack".

"Dell Windows OS install support pack"

This is a support/driver pack to augment SBUU when installing Servers 2008 or later.  It is built into SMTD, so is only necessary when used with the standalone SBUU.  It is not needed for Server 2003, as SBUU contains all that is needed.

"Dell Systems Build and Update Utility (SBUU)"

This is the installation and update utility.  Booting to this utility gives you the choice of installing a [supported] OS or updating system firmware (together with SUU as the actual repository for updates).  This installation utility installs all needed drivers during the install, and creates the Utility Partition (diagnostics accessed by F10 during POST).

"OpenManage Server Update Utility (SUU)"

This utility contains firmware and driver packages for all systems supported by the utility (pretty much generations 9-12), and can be used as the repository with SBUU or run directly from inside Windows.  It is not bootable.

2 Posts

Ok. This is clear now. Thank you!

Can you please tell me if these utils are different for every server model or are they global? (I assume that there is no different SMTD package for specific server models.)

If I'd like to get the latest SMTD, what is the easies way? Support search gives tons of versions. I assume that the latest veriosn of SMTD now is: 6.5.1 A00

No Events found!